Astral week: In a Vase on Monday

IAVOMLast week I joined in with Cathy from Rambling in the Garden’s In A Vase on Monday for the first time – on the meme’s fourth anniversary. Then I chose just one bloom, a single purple Gladiolus, displayed in a milk bottle holder, as the challenge was to use something other than a vase to mark the birthday.

This week I have gone for a few more flowers: pretty much everything I could find in my November garden. I have displayed them in an old jug passed down to me from my mother. I have a vague memory of her buying it at a pottery somewhere in Shropshire when I was a young child.

Star of the show is a faded Hydrangea head. In midsummer these flowers are bright blue – we live on chalk but they are in a pot, bought as indoor hydrangeas from Waitrose last year, but doing very well outside on our patio. I love dying hydrangea heads and won’t cut them until new buds appear in the spring.

There is an astral theme to my bouquet, including the seedheads from our Fatsia japonica, which I think are a bit space age, as well as the last of the flowers from the starry purple Aster frikartii ‘Monch’ which I bought at the Glyndebourne Open Gardens in September.

I am pleased the Nigella I sowed late in the season is still flowering in a corner of our front garden, and I even found a couple of late pink Cranesbill flowers. Pink and white valerian is something of a weed in our garden, but quite useful as it has been flowering since the spring and is still going.

Last but not least is the sweet little pink and white Viburnum flowers. I am planning on chopping our Viburnum down towards the end of the winter to make way for new veg beds, so I am enjoying it while I can.

For more inspirational vases why not pop over to Cathy’s blog and check out the comments.

1. pbmgarden says:

The colors are beautiful in your arrangement and those seedheads reflect the marks and color of that pretty jug.

1. Thank you. I hadn’t thought about the jug marks being reflected but how true.

2. Cathy says:

Ooh, must check my fatsia for flowers!! Your little jug is the perfect receptacle for your late blooms, resonating with their different muted shades – these last blooms are so precious, aren’t they? ps the link you left on my blog wasn’t quite right but I shall go into your comment and change it (same last week, so check it out so you know where you are going wrong)

1. Ah, thank you I will take a look to see where I am going wrong.

1. Cathy says:

The way I do it, once I have written and published my post I click on ‘view post’ and then it is the URL address that appears in the bar at the top of your screen (where you would type a website address). Just copy and paste this – and the same when you are adding the link to mine – just copy the URL address and paste it into your post or highlight the appropriate text and use the link symbol

2. Thanks Cathy, I thought I was doing that but you are right it comes up differently. I will check it more carefully next time!

3. Cathy says:

When I clicked on your link it took me to my WordPress site! Very odd – but I assume it’s because the wordpress.com was at the start of the link 😉

3. Look at you go creating this wonderful vase. I love the large fading hydrangea surrounded by the blooms of you garden…wonderful colors accenting that special jug. Quite a wonderful astral themed vase!

4. Noelle says:

Love the collection of late autumn blooms.

5. karen says:

Very pretty. Welcome to the IAVOM community. I’ve found it a very friendly and supportive place. Here’s,my vase this week https://bramblegarden.com/2017/11/20/in-a-vase-on-monday-in-the-pink/

1. Thanks Karen – have left a comment about your gorgeous colours! Very impressed.

1. karen says:

Thank you very much. All the best

6. Lovely and the muted tones of the vase are perfect, stars aligned!

7. Kris P says:

The rounded shapes of the flowers nicely echo the shape of the jug. I love the Fatsia seedheads. I don’t currently grow Fatsia as I haven’t enough shade to keep in happy in our hot, dry climate but, with the installation of a shade house next year, that’s one plant on the long list of shade-lovers I hope to acquire.

8. Cathy says:

Your lovely vase certainly is an inspiration Karen! I have never seen Fatsia flowers before, and am quite enamoured! 🙂

1. Thanks! The Fatsia flowers are great aren’t they.

9. Christina says:

Lovely soft colours in your vase. Welcome to this very addictive meme.

10. Eliza Waters says:

It does look quite celestial – very pretty! The jug is even nicer with the memory attached. 🙂