The Winter’s Tale: In A Vase on Monday

IMG_4410

Every day I walk past a garden on the school run which boasted clouds of pink Cosmos and Japanese anemones until the start of December. The other day, I noticed that all that now remains are blackened seedheads and I knew that winter truly had arrived. But all is not lost in the garden and I hope today’s vase brings a little festive cheer.

Like Cathy from Rambling in the Garden, who kindly hosts the In A Vase on Monday meme, I have chosen Salvia ‘Amistad’, but while Cathy has included beautiful flowering cuttings from her greenhouse, I have used the dying stems of the three Salvias I took from the garden at Charleston Farmhouse a couple of weeks ago. When I planted them, the dark purple flowers were still hanging on, but now they have finally given up the ghost, I have cut them back hard and used some of the off-cuts in this vase.

There is also the sweet smelling pink blossom from a tree we inherited in our garden, which I think must be Viburnum bodnantense; a sprig of holly with smooth dark green glossy leaves and a couple of spurs of the lime green leaves of our prolific Jasmine to remind me I need to cut it back. The blue hydrangea vase – a gift from my mother – is a reminder that summer will return.

I don’t think I will have time to make a vase next week, as the Little Weeds will be very excited about Christmas Day, so I wish all of the contributors and followers of IAVOM a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

IMG_4409

1. pbmgarden says:

Such a beautiful vase from your mother. Merry Christmas!

1. Thank you. Merry Christmas!

2. Cathy says:

I like the height of your lovely jug,Ciar, which make the contents almost look like a sphere of foliage on top of it. Such a lovely range of green shades and the splashes of colour from the berries and viburnum flowers. Thanks for sharing it and see you agan with another vase next year!

3. Kris P says:

Your vase looks very festive there on your mantle with that very cute advent calendar. Enjoy Christmas with your Little Weeds!

4. Eliza Waters says:

What a pretty jug and I love your mantle decorations, Ciar. Very festive! Enjoy the week ahead!

5. Cathy says:

Your jug is so pretty, and the arrangement lovely and festive. Wishing you a happy Christmas too!

6. karen says: