In a Vase on Monday: Strange Fairytale

IMG_5282After being stuck inside for too long in last week’s snow, my thoughts are turning to spring cleaning. We have a lot of clutter, or what a friend calls “fecktoplasm” – broken toys and miscellaneous parts of things, which accumulate on our shelves and I find it very difficult to know what to do with them. Following on from Cathy from Rambling in the Garden’s armless doll last week, I found this little one-armed princess on our bookshelf and have found her a new home nestled among the hyacinths.

I bought a mixed bag of hyacinth bulbs from Peter Nyssen and obligingly in each of the three pots I planted up there has been a dark blue, a light blue and a white – by accident rather than design.

The chipped pot was in our garden when we moved in and the frog was a present from my mum (it promises “Je porte bonheur” – “I bring happiness” – on its underside). The green fish platter was one half of a wedding present (it comes with a larger white one), as was the crystal bowl. The little squash was one I grew in our garden last year and still haven’t got round to eating.

Will the one-armed princess kiss the frog and turn him into a handsome prince? Or will she run away in her pumpkin carriage to find a new life? Or has the big fish eaten them both?

To see what vases others have come up with on this first Monday of March, pop over to Rambling in the Garden. Now for that decluttering…

1. Noelle says:

When I saw you picture my eye was drawn to the lovely leaf plate…not so much of the Owl and the Pussy Cat and their pea-green boat..but the Princess and her perfumed garden above the fish that was turned into a leaf and into a plate?

1. Oh yes, I like the idea of the Princess in her perfumed garden – perhaps she is quite happy there and doesn’t want to leave.

2. pbmgarden says:

Nice presentation. The hyacinth colors are great together.

3. This is adorable and perfect to bring thoughts of spring….the princess and frog are a cute addition. We too are buried under snow from a storm with another looming at the end of the week…..

4. Christina says:

I bought that mix last year from Peter Nyssen; don’t the colours look great together. The pink mix doesn’t work as well (btw)

1. I’ll bear that in mind. I only really like blue hyacinths anyway for some reason.

5. Cathy says:

Oh so my armless doll would be in great company here – a new friend for her if the frog didn’t turn into a handsome prince after all! Naturally I love all your props and the story you have woven around them 🙂 Thanks for sharing ps I have a similar style of plate to yours but in a darker green which I keep waiting for an opportunity to use… Glad to see your hyacinths are all blooming at the same time, despite being different varieties – they make a nice trio

6. Peter Herpst says:

I love your story! Here’s hoping that the princess kisses the frog, he turns into a prince and they live happily ever after with the fish in their koi pond. Upon seeing this, I immediately thought of the T.V. show “Keeping Up Appearances” and it’s main character, Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced bouquet!)

1. Let’s hope so – maybe she could be a Princess Hyacinth (but no keeping up with the Joneses)

7. AlisonC says:

How clever to have the colours so well organised and I’m sure they smell wonderful. This is a good use of bits and pieces in an artful way!

8. Chloris says:

Lovely colour hyacinths, I particularly like the dark blue one.

9. Kris P says:

I love the way you wove your found treasures into a story. I think the princess and the frog at least deserve another chapter!

1. Maybe. Watch this space…

10. karen says:

Love the story. Please send more. Made me laugh on a cold day. Thanks for sharing.

11. Love the vase and your fairytale.