Six on Saturday: Mum’s garden

As it is Mother’s Day tomorrow and I am visiting my mum today, I thought I would share six plants from her garden – which is much more impressive than mine, even on a damp, grey Saturday.

1. Pulmonaria ‘Sissinghurst’

This pretty white pulmonaria is in the white bed outside my mum’s kitchen window – the first thing you see when you step out the back door. It was Vita Sackville-West who pioneered the idea of a white garden at Sissinghurst, or rather as she put it a green, grey and white garden.

Here is a longer shot of the white bed, which is definitely more grey/ green at this time of year.

2. Anemone coronaria ‘The Bride’

Also in the white bed is this graceful anemone aptly named ‘The Bride’. My mum planted three or four of these as corms and only this one survived.

3. Hepaticas

At the back of the white bed, under the Japanese maple comes a splash of colour with these little bright pink and purple hepaticas which my mum bought at the RHS Spring Show a couple of years ago.

4. Iris unguicularis

My mum is understandably proud of this blue iris growing under her wisteria which she says prefers poor soil.

5. Hellebores

The hellebores are still going strong in my mum’s garden with displays in the front and back garden.

6. Akebia quinata

My mum is excited about her chocolate vine which is about to burst into flower.

It has been lovely for me to have a little tour of my mum’s garden and spend some time with her.

To see what is happening in other people’s gardens this Saturday why not pop over to The Propagator’s blog and scroll down through the comments.

Oh and Happy Mother’s Day to my mum and mums everywhere for tomorrow!

Gorgeous hepaticas and hellebores! Are hepaticas easy? I have never grown them, but have kind of fallen in love with them over the past couple of weeks.

1. Mum says hepaticas are not very easy – they like sunlight and good drainage and can succumb to damp. Although hers are under an acer it is not in leaf at the moment so still a sunny spot.

What a lovely garden your mother has! I’ve never seen white pulmonaria before. It’s an eye catcher for sure. I was surprised her chocolate vine has buds – mine shows no sign of blooming, but then it’s only 2 years old. Do they take a while to bloom? (I could look it up, but I’d rather talk to another gardener.)

1. My mum says hers bloomed straight away but it was quite a decent size when she planted it so that might make the difference?

Your mother has a very nice garden … her flowers and shrubs seem to be ahead of mine (I’m thinking of her Akebia for example)
    Very beautiful shape of the tree in the 2nd picture ( the Japanese maple you mentioned? )

1. She has been gardening for many years – and yes that is the Japanese maple at the end of the white bed.

4. Nice one, Mum! Like her Iris. Is it Iris unguicularis? The Algerian Iris? Quite shy to flower, but very lovely when they do.

1. Yes that’s the one!

The white border looks very interesting. I hope you post a photo when it’s in flower! The UK gardeners are posting plants that I’m not at all familiar with, so I’m learning a lot.

1. Yes I will do – and likewise I learn a lot from what others are growing around the world!

6. Lovely and Happy Mother’s Day!

7. mrsdaffodil says:

It’s clear that your mother’s garden has been lovingly tended for a long time. Not just the individual plants, but the overall layout and even the look of the soil. I’m glad you decided to write a post about her garden.

1. Thank you – she is my gardening inspiration!

Goodness! You had me worried about Mothers’ Day. It is May 13 here. There is still time.

9. Christine P. says:

I love the garden bed! I cannot wait to see it later in the season.

1. Thanks – I have already promised my mum I will do an update in the summer with some wider shots of her garden.