In a Vase on Monday: the Further Adventures of Princess Hyacinth

Last week, one or two of you kindly requested a further instalment to the story of Princess Hyacinth, the one armed figure who was nestling amidst my blooms. So here it is – I promise this will be the last you see of her for a while.

IMG_5402This week, Princess Hyacinth put together this simple vase in an old Nutella jar. She sailed away in her pea green boat to find these sprigs of plum blossom and variegated ivy. She did not have far to go, as they are both growing just outside our front door, although that is still a fair distance for a princess of her size to travel.

IMG_5405Here is the plum which our next-door neighbour planted to stop people leaning on the rickety railings. It has burst into blossom over the last week. Underneath is the ivy in a pot with some heuchera and narcissi – one of three I planted up early last autumn – the other two I gave away as gifts.

So, adieu for now Princess Hyacinth. (In case you’re wondering, this is my favourite spot to work, at the kitchen table in front of our gas fire looking out over the garden – there’s my laptop and ‘Lady Gardener’ mug.)

To see what vases other princesses people have put together this week, why not visit Cathy’s Rambling in the Garden blog and take a look through the comments. Thanks as ever to Cathy for hosting this meme.

1. That’s particularly nice with the great tablecloth!

2. pbmgarden says:

The plum blossom is gorgeous.

3. Oh she looks wonderful again in her pea green boat….lovely vase and arrangement!

4. AlisonC says:

What a fantastic view from your door. Who could resist bringing some inside? I love ivies too and would like to get some pretty ones.

oh, that plum blossom is gorgeous. So good to see some blossom out now.

6. Cathy says:

Yes, the kitchen table is my place too – and there is no competetition for the Head Gardener mug I use for my tea as the Golfer would definitely not lay claim to it, nor me to the Stay Calm, Play Golf one!! Your blossom is gorgeous and doesn’t it look pretty growing over the railings. Do thank Princess Hyacinth for her recent contributions and wish her all the best on her journey,wherever she is off to now.

The plum twig as well as the tree are splendid. The ivy is nice too. Lose Princess Hyacinth. She tries to take the credit.

8. Annette says:

I like fairy tales! Thanks for sharing 🙂🌸🌷

9. Love the princess and your version of spring in a nutella jar. Ignore above.

10. Kris P says:

Princess Hyacinth looks like one tough cookie, even with one arm missing. I hope you’re not sending her into permanent retirement – she looks like she has more battles in her yet. I love the plum twig.

11. Cathy says:

Lovely blossom, and such a simple and elegant arrangement, yet so effective! 🙂