Six on Saturday: Spring Cocktail

I was out last night for a few cocktails with some of the mums at school, so with a slightly fuzzy head here are my Six on Saturday. Thanks to The Propagator for hosting this meme, which is just as much fun as the heady mix of elderflower liqueur, rum, kahlua and vodka I consumed yesterday, and much better for you.

1. Clematis armandii – we have a huge mass of this hanging from a trellis at the front of our house and this week the pretty white flowers have started to open up.IMG_5490

2. Red Euphorbia – last week I promised Ali, the Mindful Gardener that I would post a picture of my little red euphorbia in the hope that someone might be able to identify the species, so here it is:

IMG_5481

3. Chionodoxa luciliae (or are they called Scilla now?) – I planted a packet of these bulbs in late 2016. They are such a beautiful blue that I wish I had planted more, but hopefully they will spread?

IMG_5486

4. Sweeping the terrace – I am dreaming of summer, so in preparation I have been clearing away all the old leaves and detritus from our terrace (yes I know I should have done this in the autumn, but I’m sure it has been a lovely home for wildlife over the winter). I’m thinking a couple of basket chairs, lots of rugs and cushions and some hanging lanterns for this spot under our old fig tree.IMG_5478

5. Not quite a host of golden daffodils – this area is going to be a sort of prairie bed this year with grasses and perennials including some Salvia ‘Amistad’ and hopefully some Perovskia and Rudbeckia. I felt it needed something in early Spring though, so planted an assorted selection of narcissi. It’s a bit patchy, but at least it’s providing some cheerful colour. Littlest Weed likes it anyway.

IMG_5480

6. Jewel tones in the front garden – I was struck by the rich contrast between this hellebore and hyacinth. Soon the bluebells will come out too and then it won’t be long to wait for the tulips.

IMG_5487

So that’s it for this week. My head is clearing already. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Lovely Clematis Armandii in bloom … Yours is more flowery than mine : the flowers have just arrived since yesterday .. I think it will be one of the next articles for my future SoS …. Get well from your drinks of yesterday!

2. That is one gnarly fig! I could see Muscari and Scilla in the cracks of the paving in years to come. I reckon your Scilla should spread and seed about. I have a client who has a large patch in thin gravel.

1. Yes I think it prefers gravel – good idea to grow it in the cracks.

Ooh, lovely euphorbia! It could be Euphorbia amygdaloides ‘Purpurea’, though the foliage looks less maroon than mine, and it is further on. Is it is the sun?

1. Partial sun – it’s a sweet little thing.

Yes, maybe that is why the foliage is a slightly different colour and it is closer to flowering.

4. annpappas says:

Is there space for a bird bath too? Or a bird feeder? Bird bath came to me straightaway when I was looking at that fourth photo 🙂

1. A bird bath is a great idea, though would have to be well away from tree due to Nextdoor’s cats.

The clematis armandii is especially lovely.

I’m w/you when it comes to letting the autumn clean up wait til spring. The wildlife loves it, of course, but I get a bit slothful in autumn, like my sap sinking into my roots. In spring, I ready to take on the world. Love your clematis & the front garden jewels. It’s starting to happen.

7. That Clematis is fantastic well jealous

That fig tree is gnarly!
    I have no idea what that euphorb is. It looks familiar, but I really do not know all their names. They are not my favorite genus.

Love a clematis. Maybe I need to get me.an armandii. Have lots of others. I like your potential seating area. Have somethibg similar in mind when I redo the garden (dig up half the lawn) later this year. Somewhere for Mrs P and I to partake of a medicinal G&T of a summer evening.

10. Helen says:

Yes, your Scilla should spread. Mine certainly have 😊.

11. n20gardener says:

Gorgeous clematis. You and fred convinced me to buy a clematis amandii. I went for apple blossom. It’s about a foot high and has no flowers – but this time next year…It’s exciting to see everyone’s projects coming together