I was out last night for a few cocktails with some of the mums at school, so with a slightly fuzzy head here are my Six on Saturday. Thanks to The Propagator for hosting this meme, which is just as much fun as the heady mix of elderflower liqueur, rum, kahlua and vodka I consumed yesterday, and much better for you.
- Clematis armandii – we have a huge mass of this hanging from a trellis at the front of our house and this week the pretty white flowers have started to open up.
2. Red Euphorbia – last week I promised Ali, the Mindful Gardener that I would post a picture of my little red euphorbia in the hope that someone might be able to identify the species, so here it is:
3. Chionodoxa luciliae (or are they called Scilla now?) – I planted a packet of these bulbs in late 2016. They are such a beautiful blue that I wish I had planted more, but hopefully they will spread?
4. Sweeping the terrace – I am dreaming of summer, so in preparation I have been clearing away all the old leaves and detritus from our terrace (yes I know I should have done this in the autumn, but I’m sure it has been a lovely home for wildlife over the winter). I’m thinking a couple of basket chairs, lots of rugs and cushions and some hanging lanterns for this spot under our old fig tree.
5. Not quite a host of golden daffodils – this area is going to be a sort of prairie bed this year with grasses and perennials including some Salvia ‘Amistad’ and hopefully some Perovskia and Rudbeckia. I felt it needed something in early Spring though, so planted an assorted selection of narcissi. It’s a bit patchy, but at least it’s providing some cheerful colour. Littlest Weed likes it anyway.
6. Jewel tones in the front garden – I was struck by the rich contrast between this hellebore and hyacinth. Soon the bluebells will come out too and then it won’t be long to wait for the tulips.
So that’s it for this week. My head is clearing already. Hope you all have a great weekend!