In a Vase on Monday: A floral bird bath

IMG_5508My sister-in-law and her partner came to stay this weekend and we very belatedly exchanged Christmas presents (at least we managed it before Easter!). Their gift to me was this beautiful table bird bath. It will be perfect for our patio table, but for now I have filled it with daffodil and hellebore heads. The daffodils are part of a mixed selection from Peter Nyssen and the hellebores were here when we moved in.

Here is another shot showing the upturned teacup base. Forgive the mess reflected in the mirror.

IMG_5512

Yet more cold weather is forecast, but right now it is a lovely Spring day outside. Yesterday seemed like the right time finally to cut the dried flowerheads off our potted hydrangeas. I had been hoping to display them in this old Kilner jar, but the stalks are not long enough and they kept on blowing away.

Thanks as ever to Cathy from Rambling in the Garden for hosting this meme. To find out what other vases have been put together this Monday, pop over to her lovely blog and have a look through the comments.

1. What a rich colour those hellebores are – so pretty in the ‘bird bath’.

2. pbmgarden says:

Lucky you. Such a thoughtful gift and how nice to have those gorgeous hellebores left by previous owners. Lovely with the bright yellow daffofils.

Lovely birdbath and a clever idea to put it on that teacup base..

4. What a lovely birdbath and just right to float some spring blooms….I am hoping we don’t have another cold snap either as they are predicting for the week after Easter.

5. Peter Herpst says:

A lovely gift is made even prettier with the addition of these sweet flowers. What a great idea to use an upturned teacup as a base!

6. Cathy says:

These look lovely in the bird bath, Ciar; what a pretty present 🙂 I have some dried hydrangeas from a couple of years ago and they are just beginning to shed their little florets now so will be on their way out soon 😉

7. AlisonC says:

What a gorgeous present. I’m sure it will be well used and this is perfect for the 1st outing.

Beautiful hellebores and birdbath!

9. Kris P says:

I hope the birds properly appreciate their pretty new bath when you pass it along for their use. In the meantime, it makes a very nice receptacle for your lovely blooms.

10. Eliza Waters says:

Now that is a truly thoughtful and beautiful gift. I don’t know if I’d be able to share it with the birds – maybe a cookie plate or for cheese and crackers? 😉

11. Noelle says:

Not so much a birdbath but a lovely way of displaying blooms. I liked the way you were looking at your spring clippings with a view to their being used as ornament.

12. Adorable container and I love the floating Daffs, great idea! I finally gave up taking pictures near my mirror.

That is what we do with camellias. They do not last long though.

14. Cathy says:

That is a beautiful bird bath, and an excellent way to christen it! 🙂