This Week at Charleston: Brown Gold

IMG_5978This week at Charleston I was mainly knee deep in compost. Fiona, the Head Gardener, is determined to have a ready supply of good, well-rotted and most importantly free compost for the garden. Making your own compost is also great for the environment, so I was happy to get stuck in to the task of turning the heap.

There are three compost bins just behind the walled garden at Charleston and our job was to empty two of the bins, chop up any remaining woody bits and replace the lot into one of the bins. Another volunteer will then have the job of turning the remaining bin into the empty bin, thereby leaving the first bin free for new garden waste.

IMG_5988As well as ordinary garden waste, Fiona is incorporating layers of the Parrot Feather pondweed we scooped out of the pond last year. There is a lot of this, and as we turned, we realised that it has not all broken down, but we chopped up what was left and hoped for the best. The compost bins are rather aged, so there was a bit of bodging involved when it came to replacing the slats, some of which no longer fit into the front of the bins, but it was all good fun. And I discovered there is a great view of the house and walled garden from the top of the compost heap, with a moody looking Firle Beacon in the background and the new vegetable garden in the foreground.

IMG_5975

On a tea break, I caught a glimpse of the new ducklings running around on the lawn behind the colourful display of tulips and wallflowers. Fiona has put a ramp into the little pond to make sure they can get in and out safely.

IMG_5965

1. carolee says:

What is the blue in the background of the duck photo? Forget me nots? Scilla? My old eyes can’t tell but it’s beautiful. Lovely photographs.

1. It is forget-me-nots, there are clouds of them at Charleston at the moment!

Could you come and turn my compost please? There may be snakes in it!

1. Well it was great exercise, but the snakes might put me off!

We had a snake in our compost last year, too Jane! Then he moved to the pond. We also have lizards in our compost. Very exciting.

It’s all looking fantastic!

I do not mean to change the subject, but I have noticed that weird hedge before. It is intriguing because it is so deliberately shorn into those weird shapes while still functioning as a hedge. It is irregular, but uniform (within distinct boundaries). Gardeners so commonly shear everything into pointless weird shapes that do nothing for the landscape.

5. byrnejudy says:

Didn’t realise you could see Firle Beacon from the garden, great photo