In A Vase On Monday: Rainy Day Blues

IMG_6025Let no-one say I am not committed to Cathy’s wonderful In A Vase On Monday meme. Why, I have just ventured out into the driving rain to pick some weather-beaten blooms and if that is not dedication, I don’t know what is.

Again, a simple arrangement, as it is only our second year in the garden and so I don’t have as wide a selection as some IAVOM-ers, although I am taking notes each week on what I should be planting for cut flowers.

The tulips look a little pink in this light, but they are called ‘Bleu aimable’, which I rather like, a friendly blue. They get more blue as they ripen. You can still see the raindrops on the petals.

IMG_6026

The little blue flowers grow like a weed and I have been calling them comfrey, but I’m not sure that’s what they are – can anyone enlighten me? They have bristly stems that sting.

IMG_6027

And of course there is no mistaking the hybrid bluebells, which are plentiful if nothing else.

IMG_6028

Last but not least, my prop this week is my happy frog, a gift from my Francophile mum, who is on her way to France today. If you turn him over he bears the legend:”Je porte bonheur” (I bring happiness).

IMG_6030IMG_6031

If it is raining where you are, why not visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden to cheer yourself up with a selection of lovely vases?

Oh, that flower that is like a forget-me-not is on the tip of my tongue! Does it begin with a ‘b’?? I will come back if it comes to me! Lovely selection – like a lovely woodland scene. ffffreeeeezing, isn’t it?

2. I think Ali means Brunnera for the blue flower. Your frog is just perfect and really complements your bouquet.

1. Thank you Linda – it is a bit of a brute – does that sound like Brunnera? I have also seen it growing wild by the side of the road round here.

I’d just popped back to shout BRUNNERA! Thanks Linda!

1. I looked at some Brunnera in the garden centre today and it does look a bit like it but is almost certainly the more weedlike Common Bugloss. Thanks for suggestions!

3. Cathy says:

Thanks for braving your rain to create your vase – I am sure you won’t regret it 🙂 I too think your blue flower is a brunnera – there are plain green leaved varieties too as well as the more common variegated ones – are the main leaves a bit more rounded than the ones on the flower stems? Good to see your Bleu Aimable as I too planted these but so far it looks as if they are the wrong variety – more Exotic Emperors instead!

4. Very pretty and I admire your dedication and frog. Happy Monday.

5. Peter Herpst says:

That’s dedication. Could your blue flower be Green Alkanet aka Pentaglottis sempervirens? They have long tap roots, are native to western Europe, and the plant is a member of the Borage and Comfrey family. They’re pretty things but like to spread.

1. I think you’re right Peter. It certainly looks like the pictures on Wikipedia. Thank you.

6. AlisonC says:

Dedication indeed but worth it for your pretty vase. And the tulips will open and be even more lovely.

7. Kris P says:

Your vase proves that your garden is on its way to future splendor. I love the color of the tulip, which is sadly a genus of plants that don’t want to grow in my climate. The frog is precious too – I’m also very fond of frogs but haven’t seen any real ones locally in many, many years. On the other hand, I have an endless supply of lizards.

8. Cathy says:

Very pretty, and worth a foray out into the wet garden! The blue flower does well here – loves chalky soil. Is it called Bugloss perhaps? The German name is ox tongue, probably because it is rough to the touch!

1. Yes I think it is Bugloss – I love the German names they are so specific and descriptive. Thank you.

A pretty arrangement, and sure to cheer on a rainy day. Could you perhaps send some here? Rain, that is: we haven’t seen any for quite a while.

I have no idea what they are. The flowers look like houndstongue (which I have always called ‘forget-me-not’ both because it sounds better, and because forget-me-not did not grow wild in my garden). However, houndstougue does not sting. Actually, except for the flowers, it looks nothing like that.