Six on Saturday: A quick six

Happy first birthday to The Propagator, who started this meme one year ago today. I have only been joining in since the start of the year, but it has already become a regular fixture in my gardening and blogging week.

If you are not up to something exciting this sunny Bank Holiday weekend, then, like me you are probably out in the garden, not wanting to waste a minute, so please excuse a rather rushed six this week; I’ve got weeds to weed and plants to plant.

1. Compost corner

This week I finally got round to constructing the compost bin I was given in return for writing a guest blog for The Handy Mano – easy peasy, it just slotted together no woodworking skills needed, and I have tidied up the compost area, although I still need to turn the remaining heap into a new bin.

IMG_6052

2. Shady spot

This morning’s work was weeding this shady spot by our French windows. The year before last I planted daffodils here, but this year they came up blind, so I decided to take them out and put in instead a Hydrangea anomala petiolaris ‘Mirranda’ and three hostas (City Lights, Twilight and Dream Queen) to make the most of this sheltered, but shaded corner.

3. New potatoes

The Arran Pilot earlies I planted out at Easter have poked their pretty little heads above the parapet this week.

IMG_6055

4. Baby fig

The first little fruits are forming on our fig tree, following a major hair cut in the autumn. It remains to be seen whether a good prune helps the fruit, which for the past two years have fallen off before they ripened.

IMG_6054

5. Tangerine dreams

Here is another patch I have planted up this week. The orange Lady of Shallot rose is now surrounded by three ‘Totally Tangerine’ geums and a couple of purple aubrietas. Bold and brilliant here we come.

img_6049.jpg

6. Curly Sue

I couldn’t let the week pass without at least one tulip. This is the one that has been performing for me this week. I planted Curly Sue in the autumn and I just love her rich deep red tones and delicately fringed petals.

IMG_6050

To find out what other SOS-ers are up to in their gardens this week, don’t forget to visit The Propagator who makes this meme happen. Long may it continue!

All gorgeous. We are missing new fig leaves this year as both our figs seem to have been killed by the beast. Very sad – they produced delicious figs!

Ooh, fresh figs, now that does sound nice.

Beautiful tulip Curly Sue …! and good luck for the harvest of figs in a few months. Mine are almost the same size … but I’m afraid of blackbirds and thrushes … it will be a war between them and me.

Good luck with the figs. I have one tree in the garden and one in a pot. The potted one isn’t happy and will probably lose its crop: not enough water most probably. Aubretia is a plant I’ve only learnt about from doing SoS. It’s a wonderful blue. I think your bold garden is going to be great.

5. annpappas says:

Lovely photos! Our fig tree is doing very well but it is getting quite tall, so it’s difficult to reach the top branches.

6. A. JoAnn says:

The tulips are gorgeous. Wish I had better luck with them. Our fauna like them an awful lot…

Hey, I just featured geum or avens! I had not seen it in a long time, but it seems to be more popular than I was aware. Others have posted pictures of theirs too.

1. There were lots of geums at the Chelsea flower last year. I think they are ‘back in fashion’.

That would be pretty sweet. They are more refined and elegant that the common flashy plants that are too popular nowadays. Maybe that is not a good way to describe them. They are just not so cheap looking.