In A Vase on Monday: On A May Morning

IMG_6197May is one of my favourite months, when the world suddenly becomes so verdant. Last week, on the Bank Holiday, I had a house and garden full of children, which was lovely, but meant I had no time to join in with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden’s wonderful In A Vase On Monday meme.

In our garden, it is the bright colours I am enjoying right now. I bought two Totally Tangerine geums to add to the one I thought I already had, except now I can see that the flowers are slightly different, so last year’s geum must have been a different cultivar. In this week’s vase I have put a couple of flowers from both varieties, along with three  purple chive flowers and two violet blue spears of Ajuga repens, with some of its foliage. The little strawberry vase is from Chessell Pottery Barns where we stayed on the Isle of Wight four years ago.

Yesterday, our girls were at Legoland with Brownies and we only had our son with us, so we took the opportunity to go on a walk up nearby Firle Beacon, where the hedgerows were filled with cow parsley and may blossom. My iPhone had run out of storage, so unfortunately I couldn’t take any pictures, but this is a photo of the two frothy whites together in Baxter’s Field, a tranquil green space near our house, taken yesterday evening. To me they just sum up the month of May.

IMG_6189

1. pbmgarden says:

Beautiful. Striking photo of the geums.

2. My Geums are just starting to bud but I will have to remember your combination as it is particularly lovely.

3. Oh what a vibrant vase with those geums….lovely…can’t wait to see mine bloom!

4. Peter Herpst says:

Orange and purple is one of my favorite combinations and you’ve carried it off beautifully. Oh that time could slow in may so that we could enjoy it’s verdant beauty even longer.

5. Orange and purple is not a color combination I would have thought about but so glad you did because it is beautiful. And I love how the sun is shining on the flowers. Gives it a quiet quality that is very peaceful and beautiful

6. Cathy says:

Gosh, the geums look completely different next to each other – and we assume when we buy plants that they are what the label says! The orange looks lovely with the purple ajuga and chives. Hawthorn is beginning to reappear in our old holly hedge after seemingly dying a death (it’s a very old hedge) and it’s good to see it again. Thanks for sharing

7. Love the jewel colors in your vase, especially the Geum, I have never seen that before or the Cow Parsley, though it is mentioned often.

Those geums rock. When I featured them recently, I thought I had something rare and special because they are so uncommon here. Now, it seems that they are more popular than I was aware.

1. See I told you they were back in fashion!

9. Kris P says:

I love the orange Geum! I noticed a couple of buds on mine (a red variety) and I’m hoping I’ll get some blooms before the heat arrives here and fries them. As to the cow parsley, if only it grew like that in my part of the world!

10. I love the Tangerine geums, and the vibrant purple complements. The strawberry vase is so sweet!

I love purple and orange! Gorgeous choices. It is surprising how many times you end up with a different variety from the one you thought you ordered! It has happened twice to be just with geums!

12. AlisonC says:

Both gorgeous and funny how they are slightly different. I need to rush out and look at my geum. It’s not dark yet at 9pm! You’ve got to love May.

13. Cathy says:

Your vase is gorgeous! I love those colours together and it has reminded me that I also would like that Geum after seeing it on a blog last year. Yes, May blossom and cow parsley sum up May perfectly. 🙂

14. How wonderful … those colours feel like full on summer.