Six on Saturday: Flower Festival

It’s festival season. Mr Carrot has taken the Little Weeds to see a show at the Brighton Fringe. I’m taking my mum to see a literary talk at the Charleston Festival for her birthday. And earlier this week my mum and I enjoyed a wonderful day at the Chelsea Flower Show.

The garden is looking pretty festive too as it dons its summer time glad rags and starts to party. Joining in with the Master of Ceremonies, The Propagator, here are my Six on Saturday.

1. Fruity pansies – I bought these from our local garden centre where they were on special offer. They are called simply ‘Lemon’ and ‘Raspberry’ and I think they look quite fetching in the crumbling old urn that came with the garden.

2. Poisonous beauty – this Aconitum was here when we moved in but was hidden under the laurel that used to grow here and didn’t come up properly. Now it has plenty of light it is looking stunning, although of course ‘Monkshood’ is extremely toxic so I need to keep an eye On Littlest Weed around it.

3. Madame Alfred Carrière – this is one of my all time favourite roses and I very nearly killed this specimen after buying it two years ago and keeping it in a pot for far too long, but she seems to be much happier now that she is established under our East-facing fence.

4. Iris ‘Indian Chief’ – or should that be ‘Native American Leader’? We saw lots of beautiful irises at Chelsea and brown irises such as Kent Pride are still proving really popular. I like the way this Iris faded from purple to pinky brown. Please forgive the weeds in the background.

5. Mystery climber – can anyone help to identify this plant which bushes out around our pergola? I think it is a Clematis but this is the first time I have noticed its flowers properly, perhaps because last year the grapevine had gone wild by this time.

6. Strawberry fountain – Littlest Weed and I planted this strawberry fountain for a guest blog I wrote last year and it has come up again nicely. Looking forward to some nice, juicy homegrown strawberries this summer.

Don’t forget to find out what other SOS-ers are up to chez Monsieur Prop.

1. What a beautiful rose! So pleased it forgave you. Love the aconite too, such an amazing colour, shame about its darker side. And I really like your pansy urn!

I love Madame Alfred too. I had her as a climber across the front verandah at my previous house and she was a beautiful sight in Spring with a good bit of repeat flowering.

3. Jim Stephens says:

Your mystery climber picture has two things in it, the non-flowering one of which looks like Clematis cirrhosa. The pink flowered thing looks familiar but no name is coming at the moment.

1. Yes I knew there was a Clematis in the mix but was wondering if it was one plant with male and female parts. But probably it is two different climbers as you suggest.

That still looks weird. It looks so familiar, but I just can not remember why. I can not remember where I saw Clematis cirrhosa. It is not grown here.

4. Jim Stephens says:

Turns out the pink thing is a popular mystery plant, it turns up at https://thesmallgardenofrebecca.wordpress.com/2018/05/26/six-on-saturday-26-may-2018/ too. I stuck my neck out and went for Jasminum beesianum.

1. Yes it certainly looks like jasmine – thanks for the ident!

That one looks weird too. Again, it is something that I have seen only in pictures, so could not recognize it.

5. John Kingdon says:

It’s good that you chose the urn/pansy mix as your header photo. I’m sort of transfixed by that mix of dark pink, yellow and crumbly. Ivy round the edges. Perfect. And Madame Alfred reminds me that the French have fun with male/female names but she’s a stunner. And a repeater. She’s on my list for a little project next spring. Thanks.

1. Thank you – I did have to be careful when planting as the urn is literally falling apart. I think Madame Alfred is just that posh thing that the British do too, as in Mrs Harry Windsor?

6. Oh I like that old urn….I have Monkshead as well. Always weary handling it…

7. n20gardener says:

Jim and John are the fountains of all knowledge!! We also share mdm Alfred carrière. Only planted this year so I probably won’t see flowers yet. Good to see yours.