In a Vase on Monday: Hot and bothered

IMG_6426Another sweltering Bank Holiday Monday and this time one rather hot and grumpy mum. I know I should be enjoying the sunshine,  but it is close and muggy and the kids are driving me up the wall. So I have crept away for a little “me” time joining in with Cathy from Rambling in the Garden’s In A Vase On Monday meme. And breathe…

In the kilner jar I have some punky pink Gladiolus byzantinus, some sunny yellow Phlomis russelliana, a couple of spires of Nepeta and a fern frond.

IMG_6429

This is a funny smelling combination thanks to the catmint and Jerusalem sage, so in front I have placed a trio of sweet smelling blooms from my Rosa Gertrude Jekyll, which is flowering abundantly in its second year in the garden. The little blue and white ‘Clematis’ jug is part of a tea set that used to belong to my Grandma.

IMG_6428

Now I am wondering whether to water the garden, or if the weather is going to break in time to do the job for me?

Thanks as ever to Cathy for hosting this meme and providing me with a spot of sanity!

1. I too do not like hot and humid days so I do little in the garden on those days….cutting flowers and making vases is a perfect way to spend a day…..love the Gladiolus!

1. Yes I have been rather feeble today – although being outside has put me in a better mood!

2. Lovely, a little hot color for a hot day!

1. Thank you – cooling down a bit now!

3. pbmgarden says:

Love that Gladiolus byzantinus. I tried growing them one year but probably chose poor location. The teacup is a sweet remembrance.

4. Kris P says:

I love the Gladiola! I recently planted some bulbs but I don’t know if they’ll make an appearance this year. I hope you get some relief from the heat soon.

Yes, the gladdies are gorgeous and so are those perfect roses.

Funny smelling? We can’t see what it smells like, and it probably smelled pleasantly herbal anyway.

1. I’m not a fan of the smell of catmint – clearly I’m not feline enough!

7. I love shorter flowers arrangements with single type flowers. this is beautiful

Lovely selection. I have gladioli envy all over again!

1. Most of them are inherited – they do grow well round here though. Thanks.

9. Cathy says:

The Gladiolus is lovely (and has reminded me I must replace mine as they only lasted a few years). The strawberries in the background look good too!