In A Vase On Monday: Cutting patch cornflowers

IMG_6503A very simple arrangement today joining in with Cathy from Rambling in the Garden, who every Monday invites us to show a vase of whatever we have picked from our garden.

These are the first cornflowers from my tiny cut flower patch – a raised bed of just one metre by one metre in our front garden – together with some self-seeded ox-eye daisies.

IMG_6611The cut flower patch is under our sitting room window, so that the scent of the Gertrude Jekyll rose and the sweet peas will waft in on a summer’s evening.

A very brief post today as I have lots of work to finish off before the Little Weeds come home from school and nursery, but don’t forget to visit Rambling in the Garden to see what pickings others have come up with this week. And thanks as ever to Cathy for hosting this lovely meme.

1. pbmgarden says:

Nothing tops the color and charm of your cornflowers. They look nice with the white and yellow of the daisies.

1. Thank you – can’t beat cornflower blue.

2. What a simple, stunning and happy vase….I love how you arranged the daisies against the white vase!

1. Thank you Donna – so happy to have these flowers.

3. Joanna says:

A very lovely arrangement. Cornflowers are among my favorites…so easy to grow and long lasting! 🙂

4. Cathy says:

The pristine white vase is perfect for the contrasting blue cornflowers and white ox-eye daisies. Thanks for sharing

5. Peter Herpst says:

Very pretty indeed! A great combination of colors and the white vase is perfect for the blooms.

6. Noelle says:

Just like the blue of the sky today…not a cloud in view, so your daisies and white vase add that refreshing note.

1. Thanks – it’s a beautiful day here in the UK isn’t it?

7. Kris P says:

You can’t go wrong with blue and white in my book!

1. Thanks Kris – tried to comment on your lovely vases especially those orange sweet peas but my iPhone seems not to like some websites today!

8. Love blue cornflowers!! – the way to displayed them sets them off beautifully! Well done! And now I want some in my yard too. Will have to keep this in my mind’s plans.

9. Do you call the Cornflowers Bachelors Buttons?Well, it doesn’t matter, they are lovely in the vase whatever you call them.Simple is good.

1. I hadn’t heard that name but it is a good one!

1. How funny,very common in the US. And Ragged Robin.

This one really rox, at least for me. When I was very young, both of these flowers grew in my mother’s garden. The daisies were the really big Paris daisies, but they look just like yours. The cornflowers were known as bachelor buttons, and a few sometimes grew wild on the outside edges of the orchards.

11. Annette says:

More is definitely less and this is just gorgeous! The vase complements your posy perfectly 🙂

12. Christina says:

Cornflowers have such a gorgeous pure blue colour, nothing beats it.