Six on Saturday: Midsummer mayhem

It is nearly Midsummer and the garden should be at the peak of perfection… except it’s not.

In places it is lovely: the roses are blooming, our herbaceous border has a feeling of romantic abundance and some of the veg in our raised beds are almost ready to crop.

But this time of year is also merciless in showing up the flaws. In several areas we just don’t have enough plants and the chalky soil is looking dry, with weeds where there should be flowers.

I suppose this is the reality of gardening, but it is all too easy to suppose from Instagram that everyone else’s gardens are blooming perfect.

Hey ho, I will cheer myself up by joining in with The Propagator who each week invites us to show six things from our garden: it can be anything – successes, failures, plant life, wildlife – you name it.

1. The first sweet pea flower – Spencer’s Old Mixed since you asked.

2. Strawberry fountain – Littlest Weed helped me plant this simple arrangement of a pot within a pot last year and this year he is still enjoying the fruit.

3. Vanessa Bell rose – I planted this rose earlier this year and love her warm yellow flowers. The only problem is I planted her underneath an Escallonia which has grown quite bushy so she is stretching her neck out to the sun making her look a bit lopsided.

4. American Pillar rose – not ours I am borrowing this one from nextdoor but she is a stunner, also to be seen in the garden at Charleston.

5. Cornflowers from the cutting patch – it’s amazing how good these Centaurea cyanus grown from seed from Great Dixter look in a simple jam jar.

6. Potato flowers on the Arran Pilot earlies – these lovelies will soon be ready to dig up.

It’s all in the camera angle – I must remember that when drooling over other people’s pictures. Or maybe you do all have perfect gardens? Either way, don’t forget to drop in on The Prop and his followers.

1. n20gardener says:

You are right about the camera angle! But is good to enjoy the best of our gardens. Those corn flowers are stunning as is the rose. Hope your lovely weeds enjoy the strawbs!!

2. John Kingdon says:

I’ve taken a leaf out of our host’s book – monthly border patrols. I don’t blog ’em but I take a set of photos of the same places each month so I can see what’s bare and when. Sometimes it’s a case of moving something around; otherwise it’s off to peruse the catalogues. I’ll get there one day! The camera angle is important. We need to get a decent photo of something without including that weed-infested patch just behind it that we’ve been meaning to clear for about three months. 😉

1. Very true – and good tip about border patrols.

I like that sweet pea- very interesting colours. I’m thinking it takes years to build up a garden and fill all the gaps and to choose just the right plants to do that job.

The colors of your sweet peas are gorgeous ! I’m waiting for mine, still a little small right now… About the corn flowers, they are so bright ! ( PS : The jam jar ” Bonne Maman” , a French brand that I also love , the best for me)

1. Yes it’s my favourite jam, or should that be confiture?

“Confiture” in French, yes. I think the word jam is rather used for you, the English

5. We are so much alike! I always think everyone’s garden is just perfect! AND I have those same jam jars! I do not throw too much out, ha ha! I use mine for drinking glasses, minus the labels. Drives my Brother in law insane!!!

1. I love Bonne Maman jam jars – I never throw them away!

Definitely camera angle, and a bit of waiting a year or two for plants to mature. Your cornflowers are gorgeous. There’s nothing like a sun-warmed strawberry, is there?

7. Well, who wants a perfect garden anyway? It’s all those little imperfections that make it real and unique . . . and prove gardeners are only human after all! You have much to celebrate – I love that jar of cornflowers, so vivid and pretty. Very envious of the potatoes, too, as there is a two-year ban here on growing them thanks to the Guatemalan moth. Glad to see yours are flourishing. Enjoy them!

8. Nat says:

Oooh look at the cornflowers! They are so lovely. I’m jealous!
    Favourite photo is definately littlest weed getting in early on the love of gardening!
    And yep epic fails are everywhere! I have one in my 6 this week haha.

9. You are quite right, nothing is as perfect as it seems. It is very bad for the soul to compare ourselves to others (which is exactly what I was doing myself earlier today!). Love the cornflowers, they must be one of my favourites. I’ve got strawberries in a pot too and they are nearly ready, was tempted to pick them this morning but resisted. I expect the slugs will have eaten them tomorrow. 🙂

10. No garden is perfect and don’t let the carefully curated photo collection of the web make you think otherwise. Your flowers are beautiful.

11. March Picker says:

Nope, no perfect gardens. I think that’s what makes them wonderful. The blue of the cornflowers is a standout as are your first sweet peas. We share that love!

Perfect? Hardly. I’m always looking at mine with a critical eye. I have quite a bit of space to fill, loads of pots cluttering up the gaff which should be planted out. I am enjoying having sweet peas this year, they are are an alternate day harvest at the moment.

Someone else here had borrowed a neighbor’s rose as well.
    The cornflowers are rad. The mixed colors are more popular nowadays. It is nice to see the classic blue.

14. byrnejudy says:

Six very different and splendid things