Six on Saturday: Sunshine, no rain

I wonder how other SOS-ers in Europe are coping with the current dry weather? Two water authorities in the UK have now declared a hosepipe ban. If Southern Water follows suit I don’t hold out much hope for our new lawn. I am beginning to think that I will have to choose only drought tolerant plants for the garden in future.

Mustn’t grumble though, as we Brits like to say, at least it is sunny. And so with no further ado here are my six joining in with our formidable host The Propagator (not least because of all the posts he manages to read and comment on each week!)

1. Our lawn…

IMG_0203… returfed in the Spring is now looking very frayed around the edges, despite almost daily watering. I just can’t compete with the hot dry sun. Am praying it will revive in the autumn.

2. Something strange in the apple tree…

IMG_0207…can anyone help me to identify this mystery blight which is making some of the leaves on our apple tree wither and curl, while the apples themselves are looking a bit bobbly? Do I need to cut off all of the affected parts?

3. Lady of Shallott

IMG_0204I am delighted by my new David Austin rose and just love her pinky orange hues.

4. The Sergeant Majus: Ammi majus and Tropaeolum majus

IMG_0205I grew these Ammi majus from seed from Great Dixter and I am rather pleased with them although they are in need of staking. The nasturtiums, or Tropaeolum majus are self-seeded from nasturtiums grown in the same spot last year from one seedling, planted by my Little Weeds at Brownies, then left abandoned in the bottom of the car upside down in a bag of compost until I rescued it.

5. Front garden raised beds

The front garden raised beds are not suffering too much in this dry weather, despite being south facing. I give each bed a watering can full of water every evening and that seems to do the trick. The cutting patch is glorious, the Three Sisters bed with sweetcorn, beans and squash is taking off and I have plenty of calendula in honour of my blog – there are carrots there too, but they have been buried beneath the new potatoes!

6. Where is this garden?

IMG_0199I was rather taken by this glimpse of a slightly overgrown garden on a steep slope from our family day out yesterday. Where do you think it was? The answer is Windsor Castle. I was interested to see the grass on the slopes is left uncut, although there is a perfectly manicured garden where the moat would have been. As we left we could hear strains of classical music floating out from this garden where a private function for a local charity was taking place.

Now, I hope you will join me in heading over to The Propagator’s blog to see how other gardeners are faring on this last Saturday in June.

A very sunny six! It seems strange to read blogs about shortages of water, especially after the weather in the early part of the year. Your raised beds are looking fabulous.

1. Thank you and yes it is only a few months ago that we were suffering freezing weather – this is climate change in action!

Love the raised beds and isn’t it nice to have blue skies in our photos! I’m sure your lawn will recover. Just don’t mow it too often. Lady of Shallott is just peachy 😀

We don’t have hosepipe ban here (not yet) because the water tables have been well filled this winter. Looking at your lawn makes me sick… I hope the rain will come soon ( for you and for me too… vegetables and flowers are waiting for the rain !)
    Otherwise, nice roses! And about apple trees, some of mine are similar to yours (lack of rain and aphids may be on the underside of the leaves that makes them roll)

4. Is it a brand new lawn? I never water mine as I think it’s a massive waste of water and it always recovers eventually but heartbreaking if you lose yours. I have Lady of Shallot – a winner – save your water to get her established!

1. Yes it is new – hence the watering. I wouldn’t otherwise. Today we have the paddling pool out so emptying that will do the job for me!

Your raised beds are looking lovely.

The damage on the apples appears to be caused by powdery mildew; but you would have seen the fuzzy white mycelia earlier. It is difficult to say without seeing more of the symptoms. We do not worry about it much in our arid climate because it does not spread much this late in the season. It gets started in the spring, and then is not seen again until the following year. However, because your climate is more humid, you might want to ask others who grow apples if powdery mildew can be a problem this late. You might want to also ask if such problems were observed on other trees, and what the cause it. Like I say, I can not identify it.

7. Your raised beds are lovely – did you make them yourself? I agree with the comments about the lawn, as Alan Titmarsh said yesterday, the lawn will come back! More important, my son who is a Course Manager at a golf course says to leave it alone. The reason they water the golf course is for the”run” of the greens rather than keeping the grass alive! Interesting Six, again.

1. Ah great advice from your son and makes me feel better! Thanks. We had the raised beds made by a local garden company – woodwork is not my forte and my other half would rather go on a bike ride!

I love how nasturtium contributes to the garden plan. Once you’ve had one, only the most diligent dead heading & weeding will keep it from coming back – & who would want to? Hilarious, that the original plant survived being abandoned in the car. Great six, as always (love that rose).

9. annpappas says:

Our lawn, or what was left of it looked a lot worse with the drought we had but now that it has rained, it has come back to life. I like those raised beds.

Your front garden looks fab! Lots of lovely colour. Mine is mostly faded white with hints of brown at the moment. Must try harder. Love that rose. Is there a climbing variety I wonder?

11. Quite a lot of rain yesterday has given a short reprieve, thank goodness! Love the majus combo. 🙂 ps I emailed you about our blue geranium, did you get it or have I been spammed!

1. Sorry I missed your email but have just dug it out and replied!