Six on Saturday: The Temperature’s Rising

A late six from me this Saturday as I spent this morning at the William Robinson Festival in the wonderful garden at Gravetye, but that is for another blog.

I am writing this at half-time (in the England vs Sweden World Cup football match for non-soccer fans living on the other side of the world – update: we won!) – trying to relieve the tension with a quick trot around the garden, which is starting to look rather sorry for itself in this heatwave. I am too hot to care, however, and there is still plenty to enjoy.

1. Rose arch – most of our roses have gone over in the heat but this hot pink rambler is bringing a touch of romance to the top of our terraced garden.

2. Grapevine – one plus side of the hot weather is that it is supposed to be a good summer for English vines. Ours is looking promising.

3. My mound of earth – when we had our lawn returfed earlier this year (oh fools that we are given the current drought) we cut costs by agreeing the guys who did it could leave the old lawn for us (me) to compost. I have been gradually redistributing it around the garden but the lack of rain means we now have some very lumpy looking flower beds as it has not broken down. This is the remaining earth which I need to redistribute before the weather breaks and it turns to mud, but it’s too hot a job for today.

4. Buddleia – is coming into flower. Not sure of the variety but it is a good doer.

5. Hydrangea – I bought this as an indoor hydrangea from Waitrose a couple of years ago and it is still growing happily outside on a shady step. I love blue hydrangeas which would never grow naturally on our chalky soil.

6. Helenium ‘Sahin’s Early Flowerer’ – my new purchase today from the charity plant sale at Gravetye raising funds for the Chestnut Tree House Hospice. There is lots of this in the garden at Gravetye adding splashes of warm colour.

Yes! A second goal from Lingard. Am back watching the footie and getting grief from my family for blogging while doing so. As the commentator has just said ‘The temperature’s rising’.

When it’s all over don’t forget to check out our host The Propagator and all the SOS-ers around the world (some of whom are not too hot and don’t even care about today’s football result!)

1. Definitely a good grape harvest for you this year! Love the roses, worth all the pruning pain. And I am a massive hellenium fan, but I don’t own one, that must be remedied! ps haven’t forgotten about the geranium, just haven’t made it to a post office yet x

1. Thank you and no hurry!

Do grapes prefer more warmth than they get there? I never gave that much though. They grow like weeds here, and also in cooler coastal climates.

1. White grapes grow well in the south of England – it’s very good for sparkling wine.

Oh, wine, . . . such a waste of otherwise good grapes. Wine used to be a big industry here, and still is up north and farther south. As much as I like growing the vines, I never was too keen on wine or the subculture that goes along with it.

2. I’m afraid I’m a big fan of wine so maybe I’m a member of that subculture?

Well, big fans generally are. I know of many who enjoy wine, but also understand that many of us do not. Then there are those who ask me how long I have been ‘clean and sober’ when I tell them that I do not drink wine, as if that is the only reason why someone would not drink wine.

I was waiting for the fresh air of the evening to read some of the SoS (with an eye on the game that will give the future team against England). Nice Six and your vine is ahead of mine. Maybe I should prune it a bit more to increase the size of the bunches ….

1. Yes I cut it back a few weeks ago to a couple of bunches on each spur as Monty Don advises.

4. March Picker says:

I too am a fan of the bluer hydrangeas. Yours is lovely!

I didn’t know there was such a thing as an indoor hydrangea. Yours looks pretty happy outside. Btw I’m a big fan of wine too! Why not?

6. Thank you for your six. I love Gravetye and have been there on special birthdays not not this year since their new restaurant. Look forward to your blog post.

1. The new restaurant looks amazing!

Love that rambling rose – what a lovely colour! Does your grapevine produce dessert grapes or for wine?

1. I have never managed to do anything with them in the two years since we moved in but am hoping to make grape jelly this year.

8. Jim Stephens says:

Even in a pot your hydrangea won’t stay blue unless you supply it with soluble aluminium (Hydrangea bluing compound). Acid soil makes aluminium available, turning them blue but potting compost, acid or alkaline, contains no aluminium unless it has been added specially, as in to produce blue hydrangeas.

Your grapes look great – would be looking forward to them ripening. I’m w/you on blue hydrangeas & that helenium is fab. Leave the dirt until the heat goes away!