In A Vase On Monday: Spell: rain and time

These are the two things many of us including me are short of at the moment. I am hoping that today’s vase will conjure up a little of both. Every Monday Cathy from Rambling in the Garden invites us to pop something from our backyard into a vase and share it. Here is my offering to the weather and time gods.

IMG_0417

At first glance I thought that not much was flowering in our rather arid garden, but it turns out that I could pull together enough to fill a vase. The centrepiece is our purple Buddleia against a backdrop of a Fatsia japonica leaf. I have added in some spires of orange Crocosmia and purple Nepeta, as well as some geranium and radish flowers. At the front of the vase are my trademark Calendula flanked by Ammi majus.

July is a super busy month for me with two little girls’ birthdays to organise as well as trying to finish off my freelance work before the school holidays begin and buy presents for teachers and attend sports days, so I must dash, but don’t forget to visit the lovely Cathy and her followers for more Monday vases.

1. Cathy says:

Oh what a good idea to use fatsia foliage! Meanwhile, I am trying to work out which the radish flower is as I haven’t a clue what they would be like! Even just a few bright blooms look the part, don’t they, and the orange and purple make a great contrast. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your busy July 🙂

1. They are small, white and make me feel better about letting half the radishes go to seed!

They grow wild along the beaches. They are too invasive, but have become a nice almost wildflower.

It took me a minute to figure out that it was the Fatsia japonica leaf, but it is nice. That is an old fashioned plant now.

1. I thought it was a bit 90s when we moved here but it has grown on me as it is interesting all year round.

90s? I was thinking more like 50s. They were popular in the Eichler landscapes.

3. Probably took that long to reach our corner of Sussex!

2. Peter Herpst says:

You sound very busy this month but I’m glad you found the time (and blooms) to make a vase today. It brightened my morning.

3. Kris P says:

I hope your conjuring trick works! If it does, I hope you’d conjure a similar trick for me. Best wishes juggling all the current demands on your time.

4. Sam says:

Very pretty – I love orange and purple together. Fingers and toes crossed for rain…

5. How bright, fresh and summery. My calendula is a week or so behind yours but you’ve made me impatient for it to start blooming.

6. Love the color combination and the Ammi. Happy Tuesday!

7. Love those colours together – very cheerful!

8. The orange calendula is really striking against the blue table. Great clash of colours.

9. byrnejudy says:

Brilliant colours in your vase !