In A Vase On Monday: Around the world and back again

IMG_0484It is that time of week again when Cathy from Rambling in the Garden invites us to share our pickings. This week I am delighted that our hibiscus has come into flower and so I could not resist plucking one of its dreamy blue flowers to show you in this little white clay bowl.

Hibiscus – or rose mallow – is the national symbol of Haiti, but it is grown throughout the world and in many countries people drink a tea made from its flowers. In the Philippines, children crush the flowers and stalks to make a sticky mixture which they can blow bubbles with. And in Tahiti and Hawaii, girls wear the flower behind their left ear to show they are spoken for, or their right ear if they are available.

Next to this exotic beauty, is a pretty English posy of sweet peas – gotta keep on picking to keep them coming. These are Old Spencer’s Mixed and there are some quite interesting patterns on the petals. Regulars may recognised my little robin jug, which I have turned around to show the watering can on the other side, as my sweet peas need a lot of watering in this hot, dry summer we are having.

To see what others are picking around the planet, don’t forget to visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden!

1. Cathy says:

Oh what intersting facts about hibiscus, Ciar! And what a lovely mix of sweet peas in that pretty jug 🙂

2. Peter Herpst says:

The back side of your jug with the shovel and watering can is as delightful as the front! Gorgeous purples today, beautifully displayed. I envy your sweet peas as I bought seed in late winter and forgot to plant them so I’ve none this year. I miss that fabulous fragrance.

3. these are lovely vases – and thank you for info about hibiscus – I didn’t realise it’s called rose mallow too. I’ve got the same sweetpeas in my garden this year but they’re not flowering yet despite plenty of watering from me. I’ve got some dianthus in a jug this week – jugs are handy for flower arrangments aren’t they? love bec xx

4. Noelle says:

At first I thought it was a bowl with a picture…your bloom is picture perfect.

How nice that you can grow sweet pea so late into summer. Your hibiscus seems to be a Hibiscus syriacus. Tropical hibiscus, such as those of haiti, are not blue. Alyogyne huegelii is a completely different animal.

1. You are quite right – this one is the national flower of South Korea also known as the Korean rose.

Wow, I did not know that. What an unusual choice.

6. Noelle says:

Just found you posted as Wilde Carrot on my post….thanks for your kind comments.

7. Kris P says:

The juxtaposition of the sweet peas and the Hibiscus make each look even prettier! I haven’t grown Hibiscus in quite a long time and I miss having one nearby.

8. Love the Blue Hibiscus,haven’t seen one here!

9. Annette says:

Your vase is delightful and I’ve enjoyed reading about the hibiscus facts too. Last year I visited a garden with a huge hibiscus collection, the flowers and colours are amazing and suit a tropical planting. As for sweet peas, I have given them up as they hate our hot and dry summers. All the better though if one can admire them in other people’s gardens…or blogs for that matter 😀

10. pbmgarden says:

The sweet peas are darling. I love the color of your hibiscus–exceptional.