Six on Saturday: After the rain

I never thought I would be so glad to hear the sound of rain drumming down as I was yesterday afternoon, followed by the almost forgotten smell of damp earth. The garden is still looking parched but now I know it has had a good drink and some replenishment.

I have been suffering from garden ennui during the hot weather and even today I can’t bring myself to do much more than wander around listlessly taking a few snapshots to join in with The Propagator’s weekly invitation to show six things happening in our gardens right now.

1. Cosse violette

First up are my purple French beans climbing obligingly up my sole sweet corn. I tried growing these last year and they were demolished by slugs – no chance of that in the drought conditions we’ve been having. The Three Sisters method of growing beans, corn and squash together is working a treat.

2. Blue hibiscus

I can’t tell you how grateful I’ve been for these beautiful blue flowers when most of the garden has burnt to a crisp. Tony Tomeo has reliably informed me these are Hibiscus syriacus – an Asian variety.

3. Lady of Shallott

I have featured this David Austin rose a few times in my Sixes, but she is the gift that keeps on giving and I can not recommend her highly enough if you are looking to plant a new rose this winter. I have placed her in a sunny spot in the border without much competition – just some Geums ‘Totally Tangerine’ to complement her orange complexion.

4. Parched lawn

So it turns out this was not the best year to returf our lawn. It has turned to straw with just enough green patches to satisfy Gracie the guinea pig.

5. First damson

Can you spot it up there – the damsons are ready (a bit early surely?) but I have no way of getting to them dammit other than waiting until they fall onto the straw lawn.

6. Another mystery

So now it is time for my weekly ident request – can anyone tell me the name of this peculiar plant?

I will be taking a break from blogging in August on the orders of my 10-year-old who has banned it from our family holiday but will be back in September. Who knows what will happen with this crazy weather between now and then. Have a great summer fellow green-fingered folks!

1. Jim Stephens says:

Macleaya cordata for the ident test. Your Hibiscus is likely to be the variety ‘Bluebird’, which sounds much better in the original French ‘Oiseau Bleu’.

Je ne reconnais pas Macleaya cordata!

2. Despite the dry spell, your garden plants look green and beautiful!

3. Beautiful hibiscus! Maybe your lawn will be all right in the autumn – don’t give up on it yet.

Your blue hibiscus syriacus is beautiful. I just have a purple one but … (shhh … she doesn’t know) I took a cutting from my sister-in-law last week and I hope to have one like you because it looks a lot like it. Otherwise, Lady of Shallot is beautiful.
    Have a good time with your family. I’m going to slow down the rhythm of SoS and Twitter too in August because of holidays (but I’ll take a look occasionally, hard to stop everything)

I have Hibiscus Syriacus too, in white, and it survives everything the weather throws at it, including temps up to 40 degrees! I haven’t seen a blue one and yours is very pretty. What a good idea to grow beans up corn. Did you intend that or was it just a happy accident? Your lawn looks a lot like ours in summer, but ours is horrible kikuyu, and nothing kills it.

6. n20gardener says:

Absolutely love your French beans. Fickle as I am, I have immediately thrown over Blue Lake and next year will try yours! And like the prop you have a beautiful hibiscus that is tempting me. This week we share a similar lawn but as I write it’s raining so maybe next week it will be lush again! Enjoy yr August.

I think I have that hibiscus too! Beautiful, isn’t it? It sounds a bit weird but I quite like a crispy lawn – it shows we have had a good summer!

8. I’m a fan of Lady of Shalott too. She really can’t stop flowering whatever weather you throw at her.

Dang, those hibiscus seem to be popular! So many of us grow them. One of my colleagues here really liked them too.

Trust Jim to give us an ID. Google images of Macleaya cordata show a lovely bloom – has it done so for you yet? I plant peas w/my corn because I like them better’n beans, but seeing yours w/their purple stems against the corn stalk, I quite like that, so perhaps’ll try it next year. I mean beans, you can dry them & eat them all winter. It’s just that I love my peas. Has your singular corn stalk survived being downed & raised again?

1. Fingers crossed it has survived. I really recommend these French climbing beans for their lovely purple flowers. The Macleaya has flowered but it looks more like grass flowers than anything else.

11. byrnejudy says:

Love the blog. I have seen a hibiscus in our village, white with a red throat. Must have it. Asked RHS and they identified it as Hibiscus syriacus Hamabo

12. byrnejudy says:

As for Macleaya, I used to grow it but it is a six foot tall thug, would not have it in my garden again. Others with larger gardens may feel differently