Six on Saturday: Welcome to the jungle

There is that inevitable moment when you get back from holiday, step into your garden and think ‘Wow – it’s a jungle out here.’ It’s not just the length of the lawn – yes it has grown back after the drought as Granny’s Garden promised. It’s as if all of the plants, liberated by the absence of the gardener, have gone wild.

It’s great to be back after a break joining in with The Propagator and his weekly clarion call to blog six things that are happening in your garden right now. This week I have chosen six of the sights that greeted me after two and a half weeks in France.

1. Russian giant

I planted some sunflower seeds as a bit of an afterthought this year. I watered them through the drought, but when we went away they were still only knee high. It’s amazing what a decent downpour or two can produce – this sunny fellow greeted us on our return. We have been driving past countless fields of ‘tournesols’ in France, but there is something special about your own.

2. Hallowe’en here we come

As part of the Three Sisters method of growing corn, beans and squash together – and alongside the sunflowers – I planted a few different varieties of squash including the classic Halloween pumpkin. I’m not sure which this baby will grow up to be.

3. Harvest

Speaking of beans and corn, it was time to harvest them – I got enough to make a healthy bean stew with our own potatoes. After two and a half weeks of pastries for breakfast and a nightly glass of wine or two it is time for a plant-based health kick.

4. Bronze fennel

The fennel is not looking so bronze any more and has come into flower. These make wonderful seed heads in the autumn and winter.

5. Cavolo Nero and rainbow chard

I had almost given up on this bed during the drought but it has come back to life. It may look a bit messy but there are delicious leaves to be picked for dinner.

6. Perovskia

Perovskia seems to be a popular plant in France – used widely in car parks and public spaces. I didn’t plant this specimen, it just appeared poking its way through the daphne, but I’m loving its purple spires.

That’s it from me for this week. Don’t forget to visit The Propagator and his followers to see how their gardens grow.

I hope you had a good time in the south of France. The weather was very nice this year. Fingers crossed for your baby pumpkin. (Remember to cut just after the leaf behind the fruit to see it grow quickly …but maybe you already knew it )

1. No I didn’t know that – thanks for the advice. Le sud était trop beau! Although we were in the Ardèche at the height of the thunderstorms. Hope your holiday was good too.

Yes. I thought of you when the thunderstorms were near where you were on vacation ( the Ardèche). I was in the Lot and thankfully no damage. I had fun but now I’m back to work (but not on weekend, though…!)

What a surprise that sunflower must’ve been, to grow so much! It’s a beaut, too. I love the idea of the plants in revolt w/the gardener away. I’m glad you had a good holiday & a well watered garden to return to. Sounds like there’s good eating in your immediate future.

Perovskia keeps calling to me. It is lovely, isn’t it?

4. Welcome back! Love the three sisters growing method, so clever. I messaged you as I lost your address and had some geranium packed up for you. It is now compost, but there is plenty more 🙂

5. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

I envy people who can grow sunflowers. I always thought they were supposed to be easy to grow but I rarely have any success with them. One managed to survive the slugs and snails last year and then had the nerve to flower overlooking the neighbour’s garden. I didn’t even bother trying this year.

Oh my, that pumpkin does not look like it will be ready by the end of October.

Green is a color too.

7. Jim Stephens says:

I feel an urge to grow a sunflower or two. I don’t think I ever did as a kid and now i’m approaching dotage and regressing fast. They’re cheerful, like Dahlias.

8. Your corn grew much larger than mine – next year I will hand pollinate to be sure of better cobs. Perhaps tuck a tile underneath that pumpkin to keep it off the ground and away from rot. I had a pumpkin looking like that a while ago but I accidentally picked it thinking it was a squash -my allotment-mate ate it.

9. n20gardener says:

Welcome back! Love the fennel and now wondering if I can fit some in soon. I’ve been dithering about perovskia – not sure I have the right space for it but I do like it’s purple spires.