Six on Saturday: Second Coming

In last week’s six I featured our Choisya ternata which has surprised me by flowering more beautifully than ever in September.

The climactic conditions are clearly just right for a second inflorescence at the moment as this week’s six shows.

As ever thanks to our very own horticultural messiah The Propagator for hosting SOS.

1. Tess of the d’Urbevilles

Tess is back and my she is lovely. This winter I am going to put in wires to train her properly up our front wall.

2. Lady of Shallott

Another David Austin stunner just on the brink of bursting back into flower.

3. Charleston Kniphofia

This is actually the first flowering for my red hot poker plant kindly given to me by Fi, the head gardener at Charleston, because it was not inkeeping with the 1930s-40s look she is aspiring to. It is with great sadness that I have decided I can no longer volunteer at Charleston this year as I want to concentrate on my writing and paid work now my youngest is starting school.

4. Ceanothus

Our Ceanothus hasn’t been too happy this year after I moved it to a new spot just before flowering. Hopefully this second set of blooms means it is settling in to its new home.

5. Nepeta

Nextdoor’s cat is a big fan of our catmint back in bloom after I cut it back in July.

6. Grasses

I am finishing not with flowers but with three unidentified grasses given to me by my mum, which are enjoying a new lease of life after I cut back the overgrown shrub behind them. Any names as ever gratefully received although it may be hard to tell from this picture.

1. Mala Burt says:

Gosh, your roses are lovely. Tess is beautiful.

Tess is truly a gorgeous rose. What a lovely shape and colour.

3. Beautiful photos! I will miss your photos at Charleston!

My cat is also a big fan of Nepeta and I don’t have to cut it down with him around..! I’m very surprised by your ceanothus blooming again. Otherwise, very nice rose !

Do the cats eat the nepeta? That might keep mine out of my blue grass – she walks across pots to get to it, the dickens. Tess & charleston are both gorgeous – are all the charleston blooms squat like the one in the photo? I quite like it!

6. Jim Stephens says:

I think your grass may be Carex pendula. I love the poker, orange against greenish yellow, vibrant.

7. Look at those roses, stunning! Mine have begun going into dormancy I am afraid, but I had a wonderful summer of roses. Now it is the dahlias time to shine.

Ah, ceanothus. One of the locally native specie was considered as a candidate for our town flower. By ‘one of’ them, I mean that we did not actually decide on which species. We just considered selecting one of them to be a candidate.

How strange- my Ceanothus is just beginning to bloom! Beautiful Tess!

10. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

That rose, Tess, is a stunner. I’m always a bit wistful about that dark blue ceanophus. We inherited one in the front garden growing right next to house. We were a bit anxious about whether it was too big to be growing so close to the foundations and our neighbour (we live in a semi-detached) was so concerned he turned up on our our doorstep with a saw as soon as it had finished flowering. We miss it and I bought a small standard to put in a pot in the same spot this year. It’s not the same though!

11. March Picker says:

I am also oohing and aahing over Tess. She’s got classic beauty, and you are so fortunate to have her. So, I had to get rid of a couple of ceanothus here that just didn’t thrive. Most plants love our climate and soil but they didn’t.Perhaps I selected the wrong variety. Good luck with yours.

I vaguely remember a shaggy dog story on BBC2s call my bluff once. Frank Muir was the panelist, the story was about a gardener. the punchline was “she is terse if the dibber fails” or something along those lines. I can’t read Tess d’U without replacing the words in my head. Nice rose…!