Six on Saturday: Last fling

By this time of year I’m afraid I have nothing new to share with The Propagator and my fellow SOS-ers.

Well, nothing new per se that is. What is different about the late September garden is the tone, feel and look.

I have just stepped out into our chilly back garden to take these new shots of things I’ve shown before; now a bit floppier, fuller, going brown around the edges but determined to have a last fling.

1. I can’t express the beauty of this pinky white rose which we can see from our French windows which is still flowering like it’s June. This photo doesn’t really do it justice and it’s loveliness is set off by the blue ceanothus behind. Underneath is looking a bit bare so I need to get my thinking cap on for some ground cover here.

2. I love following the life cycle of this fern which I’m guessing is Matteuccia struthiopteris, from its first unfurling fronds to these giant green fronds which will soon turn to brown.

3. I bought this little Echeveria ‘Duchess of Nuremberg’ from the gardens at St Michael’s Mount in Cornwall last year. Since then I have to confess I have treated her mean but despite drought, rain and frost she has just about survived. I will find a sheltered spot for her this winter.

4. This rather glorious holly (woven through with jasmine) provides shade at the end of our garden. This photo reminds me it is time to book in our trees for their annual trim.

5. Autumnal steps – with nasturtiums, strawberry plants and fading hydrangeas. The middle two pots are waiting to be planted up with bulbs.

6. Orange flop – no it’s not a new pudding, it’s my favourite two new plants of this year (Helenium ‘Sahin’s Early’ and Rosa ‘Lady of Shalott’) still looking gorgeous even if they do look like they’ve partied a bit too hard.

Don’t forget to drop in on The Prop and his followers for more September beauty.

1. I featured the Duchess in my blog this week. They really do look great in Autumn.

Lovely. One of the (many) nice things about Six on Saturday is the opportunity it presents to show the changes in the seasons. Nearly everything in the garden goes through more than one metamorphosis as the year progresses. Plenty of scope for an encore, no worries here about that.

Why not plant Ajuga reptans as ground cover (#1) ? The purple leaves and blue flowers should highlight your white rose. Lovely Six Mrs. Carrots !

1. Thanks Fred – I do have some Ajuga elsewhere but could try it here too.

Love your colour combos here. I imagine the ceanothus being an even lovelier backdrop for the white rose as it grows. Creeping thyme makes a great ground cover around roses because you can walk on it if needed, but it will creep up the rose stem. That fern is in the perfect location, isn’t it? Love the holly & autumn steps, but the last shot of the floppers, again the colour combo is great, even as each would be lovely on their own. Autumn in your garden is looking good.

1. Thanks Lora – I’m loving orange flowers this year!

Lovely six, and I’m liking the Heleniums and rose in the last photo. That fern is so healthy and luscious looking, it must love that position.

Autumn is just as interesting as any other season, especially for those of us who do not get much of it. There will be nice autumn color soon, even if it is elsewhere in the neighborhood.

7. byrnejudy says:

What a lovely September we’ve had And you have captured its beauty here !

8. The Rose and Helenium complement each other perfectly. Great autumnal Six

9. March Picker says:

The changing tones of autumn hydrangeas are always so pleasing. I would love to see that white rose in person since I’m certain it’s gorgeous.Have a great week.

10. Annette says: