Six on Saturday: Mists and Mellow Fruitfulness

Many years ago my first full time job was working for satirical magazine Private Eye. At this time of year, it was a favourite gambit to do a round up of all the lazy journalists who had written a piece referring to ‘the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness’. So in true lazy journalistic style that is the title I have given to this week’s six.

For more autumnal delights don’t forget to visit The Propagator who so generously gives his time to host Six on Saturday each week.

1. Treetops and grapevine…

…reminding me to book in the tree surgeon.

2. Halloween pumpkin

There were some SOS-ers who doubted my pumpkin would be ready in time for Halloween. It may not win any competitions for size but I think it will make us a nice little lantern.

3. Cyclamen

I was going to move these to a new spot but I decided to leave them where they are and bought three new plants for a fiver from a stall in our local precinct. In the background you can just glimpse another baby pumpkin – this one won’t be ready for Halloween.

4. Empty bed

I have cleared this patch in partial shade under our west facing fence between a holly tree and a Philadelphus. Any planting suggestions gratefully received.

5. Tess of the d’Urbevilles

This has been a wonderful autumn for roses and Tess is still flowering away by our front steps.

6. Roadside flowers

Not my garden but I love this patch of wildflowers by the side of a main road near us.

If you are lacking pumpkins for Halloween, I have plenty! A Eurostar ticket and 2 hours car …( I know, there is something else easier to do ….)   But I’m sure yours will be perfect.👍

2. I need to contact a tree surgeon too – thanks for the reminder. I love that sunflower standing sentry over the roadside wildflowers. It must cheer every motorist up as they drive along.

3. “Mists and mellow fruitfulness.” Much more poetic than my fall garden lament, “Totally bummed.”

4. Keats and Hardy, a very literary six, which I enjoyed a lot

That’s a perfect pumpkin for little carrots! For partial shade, I like Geranium ‘Rozanne’, Verbena rigida, maybe some Astrantia, good old Alchemilla mollis, maybe even a Clematis??

1. Thanks all good suggestions – a purple/ blue geranium and an astrantia were on my wish list and alchemilla mollis is a good idea!

6. March Picker says:

Be proud of that pumpkin! It’s perfect. Tess must bring you joy right by your entry. Right plant, right place! A fresh patch of earth is always exciting. We gardeners tend to drool over that.

Oh, another grape tree. Is that a pear to the upper left? My Concord grape grew into an evergreen pear, and I happen to be an arborist. How embarrassing.
    That empty bed is rather vague. Not enough of the surroundings are visible to limit the possibilities. I can tell you more of what you should not plant than what you should plant.

1. The vine is growing into a holly and there is a bay tree to the left. The bare patch is west facing semi shade and we have chalk soil. It is behind our hot border but I have just ordered a load of pastel pink white and blue bulbs so I think that will be the colour scheme.

Is this a colleague of yours? I thought it was amusing.
    For years, my best editor used to dare me to use cliche terminology that I was too embarrassed to used, such as ‘riot of color’. I remember joking about that phrase since 1985! It is particularly amusing when applied to serene or relaxing gardens.

Empty ground! If in doubt plant a geranium. Most are happy enough in partial shade.

I know nothing about soil conditions, but my partial shade list includes spider web fatsia, brunnera, hosta, gillenia, actaea, various ferns, & bergenia. I’m cheering on your little green pumpkin to catch up w/its sibling. And Tess . . . I’m certain she’s drawn my admiration before, but she still very much has it.