Six on Saturday: New perennials

This week I visited Marchants Hardy Plants, a wonderful nursery selling grasses and hardy perennials near to where we live in East Sussex, which currently has a 25 per cent off end of season sale.

I came home with seven new plants, which I have cunningly turned into six things to show this Saturday to join in with the perennially brilliant Propagator. I was unusually organised and got them all in the ground straight away, so here are my new garden stars.

1. Persicaria amplexicaulis

I went along armed with a list which proved really useful when faced with so many goodies. Owner Graham Marchant has a great range of Persicarias – he and his team grow all their own plants from cuttings. I had clearly in mind that I wanted a very pink, full-flowered variety and he found me this baby.

2. Aster cordifolius ‘Little Carlow’

IMG_1409

I spotted this gorgeous lilac aster next to a swishy Miscanthus and it stole my heart. The label states: “Wiry stems support prolific numbers of inch wide lavender-blue flowers, enhanced by autumn light”.

3. Miscanthus sinensis ‘Adagio’ and Salvia Uliginosa

IMG_1411

Here is the Miscanthus with its “narrow silver-buff plumes”, next to the ‘Bog Salvia’ with its “small piercing sky blue flowers, not large but prolific and lasting well into the autumn”. I am hoping both will clump up nicely.

4. Astrantia ex. ‘Marchants White’

IMG_1413

This is Marchants’ own variety of Astrantia, white blushed pink. I have placed this in the empty bed I showed in last week’s six.

5. Campanula lactifloria ‘Dixter Presence’

IMG_1414

A Campanula was not on my list, but I could not resist this lovely blue one which was Christopher Lloyd’s own selection, promising “profuse bell flowers of mid-blue carried in large open heads”.

6. Geranium pratense ‘Southease Celestial’

IMG_1415

I was planning to buy a blue geranium, but was flexible as to the variety, so I was pleased to spot the last remaining one of this variety named after a village near us. It doesn’t look much at the moment, but I have high hopes for it next year, as it promises: “huge cupped salvers of luminescent lavender-blue born in summer”. I have placed it next to our ubiquitous pink cranesbill for contrast.

IMG_1416

Here is the empty bed now, looking slightly less empty. I have ordered bulbs for this spot from Peter Nyssen – pale apricot tulips and white narcissi. Next up is bare root rose buying – I usually treat myself to three new roses a year. For this spot I am thinking a shade tolerant climber or rambler – Paul’s Himalayan Musk, Cecile Brunner or Felicite Perpetue. Answers on a postcard please.

And here is what I am aspiring to – the beautiful garden at Marchants!

Interesting purchases that make me want to see them grow bigger and bloom… I still have to wait a bit.

New plants, always exciting. Look forward to seeing them all grown up next year!

An interesting selection of new plants. Persicaria is something that we never see in our local nursery and I like the look of it. It will be fun to see all those plants grow up.

Ah, now that IS a lovely garden to aspire to. Sadly mine isn’t big enough for all those beautiful grasses. I shall look forward to seeing your new plants next year when they are bigger.

5. Gorgeous colour of aster. Please post a picture of your cranesbill when in bloom.

6. JohnK says:

The first lesson of Six on Saturday is to remember that Mr Prop reads all the posts. So in the interests of his sanity we must never mention that place X is having a sale as he cannot resist a bargain and will fret so if he can’t get there! You’ve made some lovely choices and, like others, I look forward to seeing the results next year.

1. I shall be more considerate in future!

7. Oh dear, you still haven’t got your blue geranium from me! 😦 Still on offer if you want it. Love Saliva uliginosa, such an amazing blue and will be wonderful next to the grass. As for the roses, I have grown Felicite, she is very vigorous! (but very beautiful too).

1. Thanks for the offer and for the recommendation of Felicite!

tee hee! #6 ROX! When I got my Eastern red cedar, I so wanted to show it off, even though it looked like . . . well, like the weed that it is. It is sooooooo important to me because they are not native here. People understood that, and approved of it just because I enjoyed showing it off.

9. Nothing better than new hardy perennials. It will be interesting to see what the Astrantia looks like

10. Chloris says:

Lucky you living close to this wonderful nursery. Little Carlow is one of my favourite asters.