Six on Saturday: Beauty in decay

We have had beautiful mild autumnal weather this week and yesterday I took advantage of it to spend a happy few hours starting to tidy up the front garden ahead of planting new bulbs. (The joys of freelancing and being able to plan my own time!) There is still lots to be done but with each little area cleared there is a sense of achievement.

Thanks to The Propagator we get to record all the small changes in our garden each Saturday throughout the year. Don’t forget to check out his blog and comments.

1. Rosa ‘Vanessa Bell’

First up is a picture I featured on Instagram this week because I think it is such a perfect example of a late flowering rose. Vanessa Bell from David Austin was a new addition to our garden this year and she is in a slightly awkward spot. Clearing the bed around her is on my to do list. She has still managed to produce some beautiful blooms.

2. Dying sunflower

At this time of year I actually relish the signs of decay in the garden and I think there is a different beauty in this blackened sunflower head. I can’t bear to cut it down just yet.

3. Fatsia flowers

The appearance of these alien-looking flowers is a sign that winter is on the way. I love the architectural interest the Fatsia produces year round.

4. Erigeron karvinskianus

Our Mexican Fleabane is still flowering its little socks off by the front gate.

5. Wood Sorrel

Please ignore the bindweed in the background, this photo is intended to show that the wood sorrel which first flowered in spring is back again thanks to the sunny weather.

6. Phlomis haircut

In case you’re wondering what I was up to in the garden yesterday here’s a before and after shot. Our old Phlomis was a bit sorry for itself this year so Fred helpfully suggested I prune it hard. This is what I have done then cleared around the base to make way for some cyclamen and the Silk Handkerchief collection of bulbs from Peter Nyssen.

The sun is still shining so I am hoping to get some more clearing done today although living in the famous bonfire town of Lewes, we have the first bonfire parade of the season this evening to prepare for. My daughters and I dress up – appropriately – as land girls. Maybe I’ll feature a pic in next week’s six.

Nice haircut ! You did the job ! We’ll see how it will be next year.
    About the sunflower, even if it’s over now, the dried flower is also charming and your photo nice.

1. Thank you for the advice – it looks much healthier now with more light and air!

2. I am going to have to check my wood sorrell! That is a lovely rose.

I have managed to grow Mexican Fleabane this year, though I am not sure whether it will make it through the winter. I think your sunflower is still lovely, and I am sure the birds must come for the seeds too – no?

4. I love the idea of dressing up as landgirls, complete with red lipstick I hope! Great rose, not one I have heard about before. Could you pop over and do our phlomis now please, needs the same attention. 😉

5. All the best photos have bindweed in the background – at least mine do! I’m not so keen on the dying plants although your sunflower is rather dramatic! Interesting Six.

Your sunflower is indeed worthy of love, & your photo of it is fantastic. I leave mine out for the birds. If things get a big straggly or they threaten to fall over, then I chop them off & stick them in a fence or trellis for the birds. And fatsia . . . o what a wonderfully weird plant we’ve been given w/that one. Lovely Six.

Oh, I can foresee others also bragging about a mild autumn, on the same day that I admitted that ours is not being so mild. How embarrassing.
    Do you happen to find that the Japanese aralia smells objectionable when it blooms? It seems that some but not all do. I do not know what the difference would be, unless garden varieties that lace floral fragrance have been selected.
    What is the common name for fleabane?

1. Not sure – I thought fleabane was the common name for Erigeron. Most non-gardeners I know just call them those pink daisies, you know the ones that grow in cracks in the wall.

Oh, yes, I know them. They do not die. I still know them as fleabane. Some know them as Santa Barbara daisy. I think that is a funny name for those who have no idea where Santa Barbara is.

8. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

Good old mexican fleabane. It just keeps on flowering. That yellow rose is a beauty.

That reminds me, I must check my fatsia for signs of flowers. It did flower last year but is taking it’s time this year. They are bonkers flowers.