Six on Saturday: Nature’s Fireworks

Here in Sussex, Bonfire is serious business and we are still recovering from the Fifth when we marched in torchlit processions as land girls, a soldier and a little evacuee.

The fireworks displays round here are spectacular, but looking around the garden, some of the effects of nature are just as beautiful.

1. Exploding rose hips

IMG_1641I love the way these peachy coloured hips explode into blackened spikes. If you look closely there is one little pale pink rosebud in their midst.

2. Bonfire vine

IMG_1819After a particularly fruitful year, our vine is giving a last hurrah, bursting like flames into the holly tree behind.

3. Golden rain

IMG_1820As it loses the last of its leaves, now turned to gold, our little apple tree is enjoying a moment of autumnal beauty.

4. Star burst

IMG_1822I have featured the space age flowers on our Fatsia japonica quite recently, but could not resist another shot while I’m on the fireworks theme.

5. Mahonia Catherine WheelIMG_1821When I was a little girl, my favourite firework was always the Catherine Wheel. My dad would fix one to a wooden post in our back garden and set it off. Our Mahonia, about to come into a whorl of flower, reminds me of this.

6. Hydrangea rockets

IMG_1824

I bought this a couple of years ago from Waitrose as a blue indoor table hydrangea. It now fends for itself outside and is still lovely with its panicles of purples.

That’s enough on the fireworks theme from me. Don’t forget to visit the Master of Ceremonies The Propagator to see what delights from their gardens he and his followers have come up with this week.

1. Interesting to see your hydrangea still has some colour, all mine are a rather dull brown now. Who needs fireworks with all that in your garden!

2. n20gardener says:

Fabulous fireworks. The yellows provide such a beautiful glow at this time of the year.

Beautiful vibrant colors of autumn in a fireworks. Nice Six !

4. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

Great garden fireworks! That hydrangea is doing very well.

5. Enjoyed the metaphor. Also interesting to get a glimpse of the Fifth celebration.

6. Chloris says:

Do you live in Lewes? Don’t they burn effigies of the Pope on Lewes Bonfire? Love your fireworks.

1. Yes I do but these days the effigies are more political – Theresa May driving the Brexit bus over a cliff, that sort of thing.

WHAT!? The POPE!? That is horrible! I like the Theresa May driving the Brexit bus over a cliff idea better.

1. It is a specific pope – Paul V (1550-1621). It has its roots in the religious conflict in the time of Guy Fawkes (and before that when Bloody Mary burnt 17 martyrs at the stake in Lewes). There are six traditional bonfire societies and one of them Cliffe carries banners saying ‘No Popery’ which some find offensive. Our local Catholic Church responds with posters saying ‘Know popery’. We march with a seventh society called Nevill Juvenile which actually has its bonfire night two weeks earlier but joins in on the Fifth.

That is too much to remember for a holiday.

3. Chloris says:

Not the current Pope. They used to burn the seventeenth century Pope Paul V.

Oh, yes. That was explained already. Thank you.

7. Fab costumes, you all look amazing! Love the firework theme, I especially like the hydrangea colour, beautiful.

The vine looks spectacular. My wisteria is just going so hopefully I’ll be able to get a similar photo. If it doesn’t drop it all before I get the chance!

9. A. JoAnn says:

your costumes were wonderful – like a television series!

10. Lovely autumnal colours, the vine looks especially good

I loved the link to bonfires and fireworks- very clever. We don’t celebrate Guy Fawkes at all in Australia and I suspect a lot of people haven’t even heard of him. It was a big thing in NZ though, when I was a child and very exciting. You haven’t mentioned Guy, but I’m assuming that’s what the bonfires are about.

Really fascinated by your spiky rose hips w/the little pink bud in the background.