Six on Saturday: winter flowers

We often think that winter is a time without flowers, but a quick walk around my garden this morning in a blessed interval of sunlight amid the rain, proves otherwise.

Never mind Santa Claus, I am joining in with Old Father Propagator – who is busy in his toyshop propagating shed – and his happy helpers, the SOS bloggers. Feed the seasonal spirit by checking out what they are up to.

1. First up is this darling primrose, bought in February from RHS Wisley – or Garden Wisley as my oldest insists on calling it. I had not expected to see her perfect pale yellow face so soon.
Primula vulgaris

2. I have neglected this Cavolo Nero even though it is growing in a raised bed right by our front door. But the recent wet and wintry conditions must have suited it right down to the ground and now I reckon it is ready for harvesting again.

Cavolo Nero

3. One of my very favourite winter flowers is the hellebore, with its sensual beauty ranging from creamy white to dusky purple. This clump in our herbaceous border springs back to life every winter, offering a little visual treat from the French windows. No flowers as yet, but they will appear in the dullest months of January and February.

Hellebores

4. I have many things to thank the previous owners of our garden for, but one of the best is this Viburnum x bodnantense, which produces divine pink flowers and a fragrance to match in the winter months. At first I wondered why it is located at the far end of the garden, a place not often visited at this time of year, but I have realised that it puts on a pretty show when seen from the back windows of the house and then tempts me out to sniff it.

Viburnum x bodnantense

5. You can’t beat the cheery yellow flowers of Jasminum nudiflorum at this time of year. Nuff said.

Jasminum nudiflorum

6. I featured this Miscanthus sinensis ‘Adagio’ a few weeks ago when I bought it from Marchants Hardy Plants, but I could not resist showing it again, as it provides such wonderful fluffy texture and a lovely buff colour at this time of year. Fluff and buff, I shall call it.

Miscanthus sinensis ‘Adagio’

Congratulations on your award !
    I’m happy to have seen winter flowers this week. These viburnum and jasmine fight the winter gloom.

Fluff and Buff! I like that.

3. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

Great winter flowers. Our Jasminum nudiflorum has never really taken off for some reason. Yours looks very well.

Here, less of the “Old” thanks very much! Cheek. My viburnum is not out yet. I only bought it last year year. I pruned it hard cos i didn’t like the shape but I think it is still sulking. Hopefully it’ll cheer up soon.

Is Jasminum nudiflorum fragrant? I see in doing well in some odd spots where I would not expect it to be happy. I have noticed a fragrance, but have not gotten close to it yet either.

1. Not particularly – more valued for its colour.

Your kale looks a lot like mine. Our freezer is stuffed w/it & I had 15 plants left. Gave some to various charities around & then discovered a neighbour who adores it, so now down to 4 plants. It looks beautiful in the garden, even at this time of year. The winter jasmine always disappoints me because it lacks scent but you’ve got a good point about the colour it provides. A lot of the viburnum around here are a bit scraggly in their blossoms compared to yours, but well worth the scent. Glad your house’s previous owner put it where you’re lured out, although it probably doesn’t take much to get you into your garden. And once again, congrats on being a GMG finalist!