Six on Saturday: To Do

My to do list in January

It’s that time of year when I start writing to-do lists. Let’s face it, January is not a month for actually doing. It’s a month for ‘to-doing’; planning for the year ahead; imagining that this time round we’re going to get it all spit spot, hippity hop, just right.

Who am I kidding? But it’s too cold outside to do much else this weekend, so here just some of the jobs which I am currently sitting contemplating. It’s great to be back joining in with The Propagator, who I am sure is ‘doing’ rather than ‘to-doing’ right now, after a hiatus caused by Christmas mayhem.

1. Cutting back: hellebores, crocosmia, ferns

I find cutting back quite a pleasurable job . There is a certain frisson in getting rid of dead and dying material and having a generally good tidy up. The new hellebores are poking through with their strange oriental beauty; green crocosmia shoots are coming up and I feel sure that unfurled fronds are nestling under the old fern.

2. Pruning: roses and Escallonia

There is something deliciously wintry about the long skinny fingers of bare shrubs at this time of year. For now I am just thinking about shaping them. Roses I will do by the book, according to the variety, but I have to be careful not to get too secateur happy with the Escallonia like I did last year. It came back and this year I think just a haircut will suffice.

3. Cleaning the patio

This is what our patio and table and chairs look like after a month of building work, followed by Christmas. We have just had a new bathroom fitted and I am thrilled to say that we now have washing facilities again after a few weeks of showering at the gym (enforced fitness – I only joined to use the showers). Tile cutting went on out here and now everything is covered in a dirty white dust. I am summoning up the energy to deal with it.

4. Plant violas

Did I mention that I am prone to procrastination? I am sure I have featured these in a previous post as I bought them from the National Trust shop at Nymans well before Christmas. They remain unplanted. Must get them in before winter is over.

5. Learning: how to vlog, podcast and take close-ups

See, I’m taking this blogging lark seriously. My darling hubby obliged by buying me these three pieces of kit for Christmas. I have not a clue how to use them, but I guess opening the boxes would be a start. Watch this space for highly amateur video, audio and macro-shots of the garden.

6. What I am actually doing

Working my way through a pile of gardening books, in me slippers, by the fire. Starting with this splendid tome which was a Christmas present from my mum.

I wonder what the rest of you SOSers are up to on this first Saturday of the year. Are you as fairweather as me or are you more hardy souls? I’m working up to it, just one more cup of tea…

1. Mybackyardgarden4b says:

Loved the post. Looking forward to your future videos! Hope you’re enjoying a cup of something warm while you’re by the fire. Happy New Year.

1. Thank you and happy new year to you too! Just need to work out how to use that tripod…

2. Love the slippers!! Haha I’m joining you in the planning; it’s such a great part of gardening and then to see all your hard work paying off later in the year. I’ve got lots of jobs to do but don’t tend to cut back any plants until March to give the birds time to feast on any seedlings and for insects to finish hibernating. Happy New Year to you. X

1. Good advice – I will wait until March then! (Except for hellebores which I think I should have done already.)

1. Yes I don’t have any hellebores although I must get some as they are so pretty in late winter.
        Remember that late snow last March? I had loads of birds feasting on my verbena seeds and it was so lovely to see….literally 30 plus birds!

Lovely post ! I join you with the cutting back of hellebores. I did it last Sunday but about the crocosmia, I have to take a look this afternoon. Yours seem to be ahead of mine. Your husband’s gifts will surely help you improve close-ups with your phone, as I did. The Tascam recorder is a good product. I offered one to my wife but not to record sounds and add them to videos … just because she’s a choir master 😂
    Can’t wait to see your close-ups pictures now !

Haha… you make me smile C&C – I am a fair-weather gardener too! I did pull up a few weeds this week as it was quite mild until Thursday when it turned bitter. But there is some dead foliage that needs clearing… soon… ish. Meanwhile like you I am enjoying going through some old garden magazines and filing bits I want to keep, re-reading some old gardening books to get ideas for this summer’s planting and planning my raised beds. All good things to do!!

That looks like a good book. I have been out this morning, putting up wire supports and tying stuff in. Have retreated indoors to defrost my fingers! You have definitely got the warmer plan.

6. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

I’m a bit of a fair weather gardener too. I’m reading through SoSs and looking out at the garden at all the unseasonable weeds that need pulling up and muttering a tad sulkily ‘but it’s the beginning of January, I shouldn’t have to weed!’ Great post.

7. You and I am on the same page! January is for dreaming, planning and getting my act together!

8. I’m always wandering around the garden and allotment with my trigger finger twitching on the secateurs but a little voice says “leave it as structure until spring” – so difficult as I like a tidy garden.

9. I was looking through one of my bookshelves and thought that instead of Googling my garden queries, I should refer to those books – much more relaxing! Enjoy your weekend beside the fire!

One of the disadvantages of our excellent climate is that we do not get much time off from gardening. It is rarely too nasty to go outside. Consequently, we do not plan so much. It is raining presently, so it is a good time to stay inside. That does not happe often.

Sitting by the fire with a good book sounds ideal to me. Not much is being done here, unless I get out very early in the morning before the heat kicks in. This morning I was out watering at 6 am!

12. The weather’s been so fickle here this year I’ve not had many excuses to NOT be out in the yard! Will go out later today to continue pruning shrubs and cutting back the dreaded buckthorn. Is that macro lens box something you fit over a mobile phone??