Six on Saturday: Easter cornucopia

On this glorious Easter weekend there is a cornucopia of things to choose from for this week’s six.

1. Apple blossom

I love the pink and white candy blossom on our dwarf apple tree which has opened out in the warm sunshine. Last year we only got one apple on this tree after the Beast from the East hampered its blossom. This year I am hoping for a better harvest.

2. Front garden allotment

I have been busy planting up the raised beds in our front garden with sweet peas and broad beans as well as planting chitted seed potatoes and sowing Paris Market carrots, lettuce, rainbow chard, cosmos, calendula and purple zinnias. I’ve run out of space now!

3. Bluebells and bronze fennel

The bluebells are our in force in our garden now – pretty sure these are English/ Spanish hybrids and they spread like wildfire but they are quite attractive so I let them be. I like the contrast here of their Venetian blue with the bronze fennel.

4. Choisya ternata

The Mexican orange blossom is gloriously in flower, but that belies the fact that one of its central stems has split badly and I am wondering if I need to remove it and find a new evergreen for this spot,

5. The long view of the herbaceous border

Tulips are still providing most of the colour in this border, but there is plenty about to come into flower including geums, roses, peony and alliums. Watch this space.

6. Tulipa ‘Stunning Apricot’ and Narcissus ‘Bellsong’

Couldn’t resist ending on the last of the Spring bulbs by our front door. I am rather pleased with this peaches and cream combination 🍑

Don’t forget to head over to The Propagator’s website to see what the esteemed founder of this meme and his followers are up to. Happy Easter folks!

1. susurrus says:

A beautiful cornucopia. I love your raised beds and herbaceous border. My tiny front garden is swamped out each spring by Spanish bluebells. Each year I resolve to dig some of them out, but you have the problem of what to do with them – is it ethical to pass them on? – and at this time of the year they are such beautiful, sturdy plants they typically win a reprieve.

1. Thank you and I agree with you about the Spanish bluebells

2. Wow, your border is looking really full already, it is going to be stunning in a few weeks time. I bet your Mexican Orange Blossom is heavenly fragrant and full of bees!

1. It is lovely but clinging on to life with a split stem – am going to try staking it.

3. March Picker says:

I’m sure those peach tulips at the door bring smiles to all who pass by. A very springy post, and very lovely, too. Happy Easter!

1. Thank you and Happy Easter!

What your choisya is beautifully flowery! Mine only starts and butterflies & bees love it. I think I’ll do like many of you by adding canes around my sweet peas. I usually don’t put enough but I’ve got new bamboo canes so I will use them. A job in the garden for Monday

5. Sophie says:

Your border looks so full already! Lovely 6. Happy Easter.

1. Thank you – happy Easter to you too!

6. Noelle says:

Those are some great fruit spurs on the apple…fleece to the ready to protect your flowers and young fruit maybe this year?

Love that you are planting edibles in your front garden! Would not have occured to me. Your long border looks great, bet that will be even lovelier in a month or two.

Did you show the Mexican orange earlier. I saw it somewhere. I really wish we could grow it like that. It does well in shade, but does not get very big, and tends to be awkwardly structured. It was planted here before my time, and works well because it happens to be where it does not need to get big. However, if it did get big, I would be inclined to plant more. Pieris gets bigger, but has a different personality, and is actually less tolerant of shade.

Are you liking the fennel? I am not sure what to think of it. That color looks rather smoky, like the topaz glass windows on commercial building of the late 1970s.