Six on Saturday: After the rain

I have to confess I have not got much gardening done this week. Instead I have been cowering indoors, considering putting the heating on. The weeds are growing apace and the slugs and snails have devoured the Tagetes seedlings I lovingly planted out last week. I am hoping for some warm sunshine this weekend to put things to rights.

The sun is shining this morning and I have just been out with my phone camera to see what is going on, joining in with our beneficent host The Propagator, who invites us each week to share six things from our garden, it can be anything. Do check out his meme and the blogs linked to in the comments, and even better, join in.

1. Clematis ‘Tesco’

I can’t remember the name of this clematis, but it came from Tesco, so that’s what I shall call it. It seems to have rather enjoyed the rain this week and has flowered for the first time this summer. Did I hear somewhere that clematis like to have wet feet? Perhaps that is why it is so happy.

2. Philadelphus #1

We inherited two Philadelphus or Mock Oranges in our garden and they are one of my very favourite shrubs, with their wonderfully sweet and heady fragrance. This is in amongst the branches of the first, with the early morning sun filtering through. I have also tried taking a photo from further back, but it doesn’t quite capture its beauty. The best view is from my younger daughter’s bedroom window, but she is still asleep.

3. Philadephus #2

Our second Mock Orange provides a divine scent while I am hanging the washing up on the line just visible. In winter, its flame-coloured branches form a heart shape, although this year it has grown a bit unwieldy and is probably in need of a good prune after flowering. A close-up shows just how different the flowers are to our first Philadelphus.

4. Rosa Tess of the d’Urbevilles

This sumptuous crimson velvet rose growing by our front steps is a climber and is still waiting for a support (we are planning to build a hand-rail here). In the meantime, I am propping her up using the white valerian (Centranthus ruber Albus) behind.

5. Sweet peas

I have lost my twine and these sweet peas are definitely in need of tying up. A job for the weekend once I have bought a new roll.

5. Lettuces

Salad for tea tonight I think, and time to sow the next batch!

1. Some lovely flowers in your garden at the moment.

2. Ha Clematis Tesco I like it!

Superb philadelphus ! Already said but I think to add one.
    Don’t you fight with slugs on your salads? ( I found 12 on a lettuce yesterday…. damn critters…)

4. One Man And His Garden Trowel says:

Lots of great flowers. Your mock oranges are a show. Ours seems to end up covered in black fly though I’ve kept on top of them this year and it’s just about to flower. The valarian and alliums look good together. Beautiful. We have Clematis Morrisons. Very similar to your Clematis Tesco’s!

I laughed out loud at your clematis tesco. What a lovely place to hang out laundry. There’s nothing so elegant as a philadelphus – it’s like a rose tree – & yours are 2 beautiful examples. My edible peas look like yours & they’re tied up to boot! There really is no training a pea plant. Even using a trellis, I find they escape & go wild. The curly headed plants of the garden. Your photos show a bit more of your space – we usually all do closeups of the flowers – & it looks like a welcoming place to live.

1. Ah thank you welcoming but a bit wild at the moment!

Your Philadelphus is a show, and how lovely to enjoy it whilst having out the laundry. And as for Tess: simply gorgeous.

7. Ooh I love mock orange and have a couple in my garden too. Love the fact you have one near your washing line….does it help your washing smell divine?? You’ve reminded me to sown my next round of lettuce too. Happy gardening.

Mock orange is rad! It is not native here, but has naturalized. There are both single and double. I sort of prefer the single, but they are both so excellent. Of course, the finished blooming quite a while ago here. There are not many naturalized exotics that I like, but these are not aggressive, and do not seem to get far from irrigated landscapes.
    Your sweet pea looks pretty happy. Ours are finishing. They do not like the aridity here. I do not bother growing them, but some people do, even if only for a brief season. My niece in the Los Angeles region really likes ‘April in Paris’ for the fragrance, and grows it with more brightly colored sorts.

Your salad looks very good, mine has been poor ( bolting a lot) and I haven’t been sowing frequently enough.

Your Clematis ‘Tesco’ is similar to one of mine, though I have no idea where mine came from. I once had two mock orange shrubs like yours, one was a single flower the other a double, the smell was divine. Then they both suffered from black fly and each year it got worse with the flowers covered in them. So they had to come out. Such a shame, but they really were quite disgusting in the end.