Six on Saturday: High Noon

The garden now feels as though it is at its peak, an abundance of foliage and floriferousness. Another month and it will be fraying around the edges, before settling back down for a last burst of Autumnal glory.

It is also the time of year when I feel guilty about all the things I haven’t done, despite having the best of intentions earlier in the year. The weeds are rampant, the lawn is bare and I haven’t planted half as much as I intended. Still I will focus on minor victories.

1. Buddleia bush

I know they are commonplace, but I love our Buddleia davidii, sometimes known as the butterfly bush. I have not seen many butterflies in the garden this year, with the exception of a few cabbage whites, so I am hoping now that it has come into flower it will attract some.

2. Dwarf apple tree

Last year this little tree only produced one apple. This year it has gone a little crazy. Apple experts out there, should I remove some of the apples now or will the tree do this for itself?

3. Rose arch

I already featured our rose arch in a recent six, but it has really come into its own now and has benefited from a heavy pruning earlier in the year. I have no idea of the variety – can anyone out there hazard a guess?

4. Gladioli

I planted these gladioli before we installed raised beds in our front garden, grown from corms bought at the Chelsea Flower Show. They survived the upheaval and continue to push through in all their dazzling splendour (please ignore the bindweed climbing up sunflower stems). I am planning to cut them for a vase this week.

5. Perovskia

There are many things in our garden I can’t claim credit for including this beautiful blue Perovskia, which pushes through our Daphne, blocking the path in style (as well as the view of our neighbour’s building work and the bins!)

6. Santolina and steps

I bought this little cotton lavender plant for 50p from Geoff Stonebanks’s lovely garden at Driftwood near us then planted it in a corner and forgot about it. This year it has put out some lovely yellow flowers reaching south for the sun. I know some people grow it just for its silvery foliage, but I am rather fond of these jolly pompoms.

As ever I am joining in with The Propagator, who invites us to feature six things from our gardens each weekend. I don’t know where my blog would be without him and his marvellous Six on Saturday meme, so do check him and his followers out.

The red gladioli are flashy! Perovskia is blooming here too. Yours is better placed than mine but with such an appealing bloom, no matter.. bees find it

2. Noelle says:

Definitely remove all misshapen or damaged apples. Thin remaining apples or you will get only small apples. If a fruit tree produces too many apples one year, they easily go into producing every two years. Water and feed….Your Perovskia is looking great.

1. Thank you for the advice! Will do it today.

3. Glorious gladdies! I didn’t even notice the bindweed until you pointed it out 🙂 What a marvellous time of the year!

4. Beautiful roses – the arch is lovely. Hope you find out what it is. I find fellow SOSers really helpful!

5. Evee says:

Your garden is charming, and your writing an inspiration to this beginning gardener,

Bindweed seems to be everywhere in my garden this year, in fact I have not known such a year for pests – fuchsia rust, mildew and aphids in my conservatory on the chilli plants! As for butterflies, even the cabbage whites are missing here this year!

7. Thinning the apples close together should help the remaining grow to a bigger size.

1. Thanks – there are several clusters of three to four apples – would you take those down to one or two?

1. I think you’re meant to leave about 10cm between. Depends on apples though https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=340

I always enjoy coming to your garden, but loved this week, so many things to smile about. Really love that rose arch. Yes, buddleia is common because it self seeds so well, so’s become the champion of waste ground, but the smell, the smell, & of course the colours which invite wunder critturs to the garden. They’ve self seeded on the woods where I walk Mr BigNose & it’s such a lovely aroma this time of year. And of course, there’s always one that finds its way into any of my gardens. I’m also a big glad fan & love this time of year when one or several wands’ll bend & ‘have’ to be brot inside. Your dwarf apple, is that the same as an appltina?

1. Thanks Lora – your woods sounds lovely. Not sure about the dwarf apple as we inherited it!

9. Blooming heck. that Gladioli is red! Lovely Rose Arch as well.

Culling the apples might help make bigger and better apples, although fewer, but they seem pretty far along already. It might be too late for the remaining apples to take advantage of culling. (I am only saying that because they seem to be maturing already.) By now, you might just want to let the tree finish with what it started, and expect that a few fruits will fall off on their own. The apples will likely be small and disfigured. I would recommend pruning the tree over winter so that culling is not important next year. If only a few apples fall off this years, it would be a good indication that pruning is more important than culling.

1. Thanks Tony, we have had the tree professionally pruned the last two years. The first year only one apple (because we had severe late winter weather at blossom time), this year lots of blossom (it was unseasonably warm in March) and lots of fruit!

Well, it is probably just more productive than the arborist who pruned it was expecting for your region. In such cases, and for a small tree, culling would help for situations such as this. However, as I mentioned, you might just want to let the tree finish what it started, just because the apples are maturing already.

Lovely, and I hear you re the weeds. Despite my best efforts to get it all earlier in the year, I still have bindweed popping up all over, strangling the nice things. I’m looking forward to my gladiolii, first time I’ve grown them.