Six on Saturday: Truly Autumnal

The garden, like the weather, is looking wild at the moment. Leaves strewn everywhere, perennials dying back to make interesting shapes and textures, but still the roses go on blooming.

Each week The Propagator invites us to share six things from our garden and it is a delight to see what he and his followers come up with. Here is my rather bedraggled offering.

1. Fatsia flowers

Each year around this time our Fatsia japonica produces these space age flowers. It looks a bit like a Christmas tree designed by Barbarella. The Lady of Shallot roses are still strutting their stuff beside it.

2. Fig leaves

Our fig tree has been shedding its leaves, blanketing the lawn. I am waiting for the drier, milder weather forecast for the start of next week to go out and clear this lot.

3. Fig tree

The Little Weeds always like it when the leaves fall off the fig tree because it makes it easier to climb. Fig trees are not that strong, however, and the Weeds aren’t so little any more, so not sure how much longer it will bear their weight. It’s a pretty amazing specimen though (and one for which I can’t take any credit.)

4. Treescape

It is time to book in the tree surgeons. They will shape the bay to the left of this picture and cut back the vine. I will have to tackle the clematis which has been particularly rampant this year and does not add much to the garden with the most insignificant white flowers. The holly belongs to the house behind, so that will be left untouched.

5. Sedum

This red sedum, picked up from a neighbour’s plant sale for 30p earlier in the year, is now coming into its own.

6. Echeveria ‘Duchess of Nuremburg’

This sturdy little Echeveria, bought from the gardens at St Michael’s Mount in Cornwall, has been inside and out, but she has never been happier than this summer spent in a butler’s sink with some bargain basement alpines. She has even doubled in size. Do I leave her here over winter in a sheltered spot, or bring her in? I can already see some signs of fungal disease in the white on her leaves. All advice welcome.

1. The fatsia is gorgeous…the shapes and the way it says ‘I am not a rose’.

That is an impressive fig tree! Thinknid like to climb it too.

I have the same pile of fig leaves on the ground. If they have no disease , I leave them on the ground to protect the superficial roots of the fig tree and bonus : it’s green manure..
    Beautiful fatsia flowers !

1. Maybe I will take a leaf out of your book and leave them then (forgive the pun) 😆

😂 I needed time to understand because I didn’t know what is a pun…

4. My fig tree is in a very large pot. It is healthy but the figs don’t mature. Nice, autumnal six.

1. No ours don’t ripen either – I don’t think we’ve got the climate for it.

5. Noelle says:

What a fabulous fig tree..do you get any fruit to eat off it? Non the less it trunk is a thing of beauty. Yes the echeveiras are not hardy and they hate the wet too…the two together means curtains for them very soon. They probably will need watering only a couple of times until spring.

1. Sadly no fruit – it drops off before ripening each year and pruning doesn’t seem to help. Will bring Echeveria inside.

6. I bring echeveria into my greenhouse over the winter as I’m just not sure about how hardy my one is. Your one is so beautiful it would be a shame to risk it.

1. Thanks Katherine – I will bring it inside.

I was not sure what to say about that. Ours stay out in the landscape all year, but we do not get hard frost. I would worry about bringing it in if I needed to, just because potted specimens so often rot or get mealybug. But of course, our potted specimens stay in cool and partly shaded spots. It would likely be different if they were only sheltered part of the year, and then moved to warm exposure for part of the year.

Fatsia are living proof gardeners have a sense of humour. I can’t ever look at one & not smile. That fig tree looks to be as old as I am! No wonder the kids love it. A ripe spot for spooky tales, to boot. Hope someone has an answer for your Duchess question. I never know if I should bring my succulents in or not.

8. Love your knotty fig, I had one for a while – there are only so many figs one can eat!

1. Sadly we don’t have the climate for the figs to ripen, but we enjoy the tree anyway!

1. That’s interesting, ours would get killed back to the ground by extreme low temperatures but always had fruit and a million wasps.