Six on Saturday: The Tulip

I have been eyeing up Anna Pavord’s book The Tulip in our local library for some time now. Only the sheer size of the thing prevented me borrowing it. But I found I couldn’t stop thinking about it so this week I brought it home. It is so dense I will probably have to renew it the maximum number of times to get to the end.

So my first Six, joining in with The Propmeister and his merry crew is…

1. The Tulip by Anna Pavord

I am still only on the introduction but Pavord writes beautifully. I have already been transported to a mountainside in Crete where she is searching for Tulipa bakeri.

When it comes to planting tulips I am always on the late side but I aim to get it done by the end of November which gives me another week.

I have got round to opening the box though, so this week for your delectation I have some extremely dull pictures of bulbs in bags. Nice compostable bags from Peter Nyssen.

2. Tulipa bakeri ‘Lilac Wonder’

I decided that what I was missing in the garden was the smaller, more naturalistic tulips. I don’t know whether they have a collective name (I will once I’ve read the book).

3. Tulipa sylvestris

Another more naturalistic tulip that I liked the look of. Described as ‘yellow, back of tepals greenish’.

4. Tulipa clusiana ‘Lady Jane’

I am rather excited about this tulip described as ‘Magenta rose, ivory white edge’. And I love the name.

5. Red tulips

Just in case you thought I was getting too tasteful here are some bright red tulips I also bought. They are short and tall – Scarlet Baby and Appeldorn – so I’m hoping they’ll go nicely together.

6. Lovely Lingerie Blend

I couldn’t resist this saucy selection from Aldi which includes Jimmy tulips and Yazz narcissi.

Now I just need to get planting and I have a dilemma. I left last year’s tulips in their pots (not at all what Monty ordered). They are now poking up green shoots. Do I heartlessly depot them to make way for the new or leave them where they are and find new pots?

1. It may not be your most colourful Six but the potential colour is amazing!!

1. Yes I will give an update in the spring!

What future color program!

3. Linda Casper says:

Lovely lingerie blend! Nothing like my winter warmers.

4. Anna Pavord’s the curious gardener is great reading if you want a lighter read. A collection of her garden writings presented in month by month accounts.

Ooh, no, don’t turf the tulips out – they may surprise you! I have a pot that has come back year after year, I suspect next year they may not, but I shall wait and see. definitely find new pots. Most of mine are from Peter Nyssen this year, I usually go to Sarah Raven for my tulip bulbs, but decided on a change. Always exciting to see what comes up. I shall look forward to seeing your species tulips (is that the collective name?) Tulipa bakeri ‘Lilac Wonder’ sounds delightful. I planted some Tulipa sylvestris to naturalise a few years ago, but they don’t perform well. I think they are in too shady a spot and need summer heat to help them flower. That bed needs digging up in spring and replanting.

Oh, and forgot to say that the tulip book looks fab. I love gardening books and often end up buying something like this, even though I have sworn not to buy more books! (It’s the same with plants).

7. Eliza Waters says:

I grow T. clusiana ‘Lady Jane’ and I love it. It even increases every year, something I rarely see with tulips.

I had to look up tulipa bakeri & was immediately, o yes please! The name, Lovely Lingerie Blend, tho, had me laughing out loud. They look gorgeous as well. Can’t wait to see these guys in bloom. Did you decide to leave the other bulbs in the pots? I leave mine every year, but mostly because I’ve forgotten about them!

Excellent tulip work, that’ll be fab in the spring. Cant help thinking you’ve under ordered! If you’re not sobbing at the thought of planting them, it’s not enough! 🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷

I am sorry to have missed your first six two Saturdays ago.
    ‘Apeldoorn’ was the first of only a few varieties of tulip I have grown. It is still my favorite, even more than white tulips – which I have not yet grown. I do not grow tulips because they bloom only once here. If I do so again, I will include ‘Maureen’, just because I really want to try something in white. I know ‘Maureen’ is considered to be cheap and common, but it still appeals to me.