Six on Saturday: Chelsea snowdrops

This week I was lucky enough to find myself in the Chelsea Physic Garden right in the middle of its Heralding Spring snowdrop festival on a rare sunny day.

There was such a wealth of wonderful Galanthus and other early spring bulbs that I could not resist bringing this week’s six from this green oasis in the heart of the city.

I am joining in with The Propagator who invites us to show six things from our garden each weekend. Until the end of March I am studying garden design at the Chelsea Physic Garden so it is a teeny bit mine.

1. Galanthus plicatus ‘Diggory’

I just love the delicate ruching on this snowdrop as if an insect sized tailor has made tiny stitches in it. It would make the perfect puffball skirt for a butterfly ball.

2. Galanthus ‘Hippolyta’

Wonderful name, wonderful snowdrop, with strong green markings on a propeller of pure white petals.

3. Galanthus plicatus ‘Wendy’s Gold’

Some snowdrops like this ‘Wendy’s Gold’ have these distinctive yellow receptacles, making for an unusual contrast.

4. Narcissus ‘Mary Poppins’

There was also a selection of potted early spring bulbs on show and this dainty and unusual Narcissus definitely had me humming ‘A spoonful of sugar’.

5. Snowdrop kokedama

This is such a clever way of displaying snowdrops using the Japanese art of flower arranging with moss balls then hanging them from a tree.

6. Galanthus plicatus ‘Golden Fleece’

As the name suggests this snowdrop, which was kept in a glass cabinet, was one of the most expensive for sale with a price tag of £200!

Here are a few more pics from Heralding Spring. It’s on until tomorrow so if you are near London there’s still time to visit.

1. I like the snowdrop kokedama. I’d considered making one a few weeks back when I made my others but seemed a bit too temporary for the effort.

2. karen says:

£200 for a snowdrop! Heck. I’ve got a lovely knee called Madeline which has a yellow seed pod. Quite beautiful. Thanks for the photos.

1. karen says:

I meant variety, not knee!!! Where did that word come from!

It’s Galanthus party right now. I guess you had a good time there.!
    Nice photo of narcissii with irises reticulata behind.

4. Wonderful! I love The Physic Garden. Great pictures, I especially love the suspended snowdrops. 🙂

5. Noelle Mace says:

A Diggory received as a pressie last year has kicked the bucket here, so that for showing just how beautiful it is.

6. Oh, how I would love to be at that show! I especially liked the moss and Snowdrops in the tree. When the feature photo popped up I thought to myself, that must be some trick photography because it looks like snowdrops are growing in a tree! I also liked those gypsy looking props!

Fleece is right! The OH would have a dicky fit if I spent that much on a single bulb! I do quite like the yellow ones and those with the interesting green markings, but I am more than happy to see the common snowdrops. Lovely to have a wander around the garden with you, great photos! I’m undecided about those Petticoat Daffodils though I do like the pale yellow of Mary Poppins. And the blue iris is gorgeous. Hope you are enjoying the course!

8. Thanks for sharing the Heralding Spring festival with us Sixers who can’t get there in person. I hope you find time to tell us about the course some time.

I hope the design course is turning out to be what you wanted it to be. Are you meeting lots of garden folk? That snowdrop display is really wonderful. Love the ruching on Diggory & that narcissi is really delicately beautiful. You should steal it.

1. Thank you and yes – lots of inspiring tutors and gardening folk on the course. Happy days 😊🌱

Who in their right mind pays 200 quid for a snowdrop! They all look the same to me, never understood what the fuss is about. Bah humbug!

1. I have to say I agree I think £12 is my limit!

11. n20gardener says:

Echoing the £200 quid for a snowdrop comments! But lovely to see them all. Diggory is great and I am definitely going for some hoop petticoat narcissi next year.