Six on Saturday: Midsummer magic

Titania, Bottom and all the fairies will come out tonight as we have reached the midpoint of the year, the summer solstice and the garden is become a place of magic.

So join The Propagator and his troupe of rude theatricals as they show off their horticultural wares.

Without further ado here are six scenes from my own garden.

1. Rambling rose and fig

Oh the romance of the rambling rose and the lusciousness of the fig leaves. Sadly, as always happens in June, the tree is dropping all its fruit before it is ripe.

2. Cerinthe and bee

I scattered some Cerinthe seeds in this spot a couple of months ago. Usually my attempts at direct sowing fall flat, so to speak, but just this once I have been rewarded with the first purple flowers – and so has my friend Mr 🐝

3. Rosa Charles de Mills

I planted this gorgeous gallica rose in a shady spot two years ago but it was not happy so last winter I moved it to a sunnier spot. This week it flowered for the first time. The flower is smaller than I expected buts great colour.

4. Pavement roses

This blush white rose was in the garden when we got here and can only be seen from the pavement in front of our house. No idea of the name.

5. Helenium ‘Sahin’s Early Flowerer’

Possibly my favourite perennial in our garden is this helenium which is just about to flower. I bought it from the open day at Gravetye a couple of years ago. Expect many more pictures of it as the year goes on.

6. Midsummer border

Sometimes it’s good to take a step back. This border is looking a bit wild and woolly but that’s the way I like it with geraniums, roses, valerian and Crocosmia which will soon come into flower.

Your white rose looks like Blush Noisette : a very pretty rose isn’t it !? 😍

1. It could be blush noisette although I think the blooms are a bit bigger. Am enjoying it anyway!

2. Cerinthe is a lovely plant. As you say, great for the pollinators.

3. Irene Tron says:

Just happened to come across your blog and I am so glad I did! Made me smile.

1. Thank you – lovely to hear you enjoyed it 🙏🏻

4. I cut back my cerinthe major this week. It had been flowering for probably 3 months. It’s one of my favourite plants. Lovely roses. Do you get any edible figs? Ours just fall off before they are ready to pick.

1. Ours do the same – I live in hope!

5. Great Six! I love Cerinthe, fortunately mine have done really well this year.

6. Lisa says:

White roses are pretty. The passerby enjoy it, even if you can’t!

7. March Picker says:

I really must grow cerinthe. Your summer border is just perfect in its wildness.

8. The garden looks wonderful. Sorry about the figs, but the foliage is worth having by itself.

9. If we are playing guess the rose – my vote goes for Iceberg. I love the combination of the climbing rose and the fig.

1. Oh yes I love a good game of guess the rose and it might well be Iceberg.

10. Jim Stephens says:

Your mention of Cerinthe set me scurrying out to see if last years plant had produced any self sown seedlings. Had to clear a thicket of Geranium palmatum and under it are things that might be Cerinthe, only just coming up. I shall keep a close eye on them.

Love the summer border, just how a border should be I think and the rambling rose is gorgeous! I scattered some Cerinthe seeds a month ago and am pleased to see they are growing despite the neighbour’s cat digging up this area. Just in case I sowed 5 more seeds in a pot and they have all germinated too! Now where to plant them!

Have you tried pruning the fig tree differently? Many garden varieties of fig produce twice annually, early and late. However, they tend to be pruned to favor one set of figs of the other. Cultivars that produce a better early set of figs are pruned less, or are only lightly trimmed, so that old stems can start to produce figs early the following year. Cultivars that produce a better late set of figs are pruned more aggressively, which eliminates more of the old stems that produce early figs, but stimulates the growth of new stems that produce late figs. If yours drops most of the early figs, it may be a cultivar that is not be very proficient with the early set. Even if it has potential to be more proficient with the late set of figs, if it is not pruned enough, it may not produce enough new stems to produce a good late set of figs. If it were to get pruned a bit more than it typically does in winter, it will produce less of the early set of figs, and just might be able to sustain the smaller volume. Also, it may produce more new stems that could produce a second set of figs. If the early figs still do not develop adequately, but the late figs are better, you could try pruning even more aggressively the following year.

1. Thanks I will ask our tree surgeon to prune more heavily this winter and see if that helps – although not too heavily as my kids like to climb in it!

I grew a common ‘Mission’ fig in the garden where I lived in town. Both the early and the late figs were good, so pruning did not matter as much. There were some years when my neighbors had me prune it less so that they could get more of the early figs. There were years after the neighbors relocated that I pruned it more aggressively so that I could get more of the later figs for drying.

13. Katharine says:

I’m intrigued to see that Helenium develop. I almost googled it but I’ll save it for your future reveal! Gorgeous roses you have there. I’m glad Charles is perking up in his new position.

14. That’s a lovely sunny border. I am a fan of White Roses as well and I am growing and Iceberg which looks fantastic but most of the flowers are on my neighbours side.

15. Lovely Six. I don’t know what the Rose is but it’s beautiful. The border is looking great

16. Looking good. I’d like some cerinthe. Seen the bees enjoying it so much. My Charles DeMills doing a bit better this year. Got a few decent blooms despite the rain.