Six on Saturday: November roses

How are we all? Here in England we are back into the first weekend of lockdown#2 and at the end of a nail-biting week in the US presidential elections. have had butterflies in my stomach all week so I can’t begin to imagine for those of you living in the US.

So it is calming to look around the garden and join in with The Propagator and his international gang showing six things from our gardens. This week mine are all roses, because it has just been so gorgeous to see them blooming in the November sun. What the universe take the away with one hand, she giveth with the other…

1. Inherited white rose #1

I’m sure some of you have tried to help me identify this one in the past. The previous owners of our house seemed to favour white roses with a tinge of pink. This is the one in our front garden that likes to reach out and scratch passers-by.

2. Inherited white rose #2

This one is in our back garden and I’m not sure this bud will ever open fully but it’s so perfect as it is.

3. Rosa Vanessa Bell

The thing about November roses is they can be ragged around the edges but you forgive them completely because it’s just so darned lovely to see them still in flower. This is Vanessa in her later years, sitting darning by the fire at Charleston farmhouse, a little faded but still quite beautiful.

4. Rosa Tess of the d’Urbevilles

Of course Thomas Harry’s heroine is the exception to this rule and is still dazzling in the autumn sun.

5. Rosa Lady Emma Hamilton

Named for Nelson’s lover, this rose the colour of Turner’s Fighting Temeraire is in too shady a spot. But I was advised by someone who knew – I forget who now – to leave her for another year or two to see if she beds in.

6. Rosa Lady of Shalott

There are so many new buds on this rose, she must think it’s Spring. One of my all times favourites, she delights from May to November.

Now, mustn’t forget to take advantage of David Austin’s 15% off offer before Friday 13 so that I have more roses to include in next year’s SoS!

1. Paddy Tobin says:

How lovely to have a few bloom so late into the year. Pruning has removed the few stragglers in our garden.

2. Thanks for the David Austen tip. I quite fancy looking for a compact pot rose as I ended up having to remove a couple of the border ones as they didn’t suit the conditions. But got one decent yellow one getting set for its second burst.

3. M Hill says:

Thomas HARDY!

4. What a joy, six lovely roses, but none so lovely as the wonderful Tess. I’ve got one of those vouchers, trying very hard to resist …..

I do like roses, but Cornwall is not the best place for them, I have a Fighting Temeraire though and it too is in bud!

The ‘Tess of the d’Urbevilles’ is so beautiful !! 😍🌹

7. Such a romantic set of roses.

8. My roses are valiantly hanging on as well although some at the top of very long, bare stems. Lovely Six-on-Saturday.

9. All gorgeous!! What a treat to see roses in November. Feeling quite relieved in the US!

What a treat to have roses blooming so late in the season. I love the colours of Lady Emma Hamilton. Very elegant.

11. Katharine says:

Ah lovely – some of my favourite roses and literary characters. Beautiful!

12. n20gardener says:

I planted a climbing Tess this year, so I’ve high hopes for next year (sorry) and yes thanks for the reminder of the end of offer date. I may be tempted!

White rose is pretty sweet! I like to select my own cultivars, and sometimes dislike what is inherited. However, I think I would rather dislike a few inherited flowers than fill the garden with my own bland selections. Other people are better at selecting such things. Besides, I will care for whatever I end up with.