Six on Saturday: Lockdown flowers

It’s a grey old day but I’m loving the plants clinging on to colour in our garden. To be honest they’re a complete colour clash but by this time of year I’ll take anything, so let’s call it a rainbow instead 🌈

They are definitely cheering us up through England’s second lockdown. Thing one was sent home from school this week (as a precaution because a child in her year has tested positive for coronavirus) and has to spend two weeks in isolation although the rest of us can still go out and about as long as none of us have symptoms.

Every Saturday The Propagator invites us to share six things from our garden. I think I’ve probably shown these all before in a less shabby state but hey it’s November.

Today I still have bulbs to plant and I’m attending the online Society of Garden Designers conference, my first since graduating from the English Gardening School earlier this year. I think it’s a day for indoor gardening with quick dashes outside 😄

1. Cyclamen and pinks

I had some leftover pinks in a funny old container we have, then I bought three cyclamens for a fiver from a stall near us. I think the spiky grey foliage makes quite a Christmassy backdrop.

2. Gertie

Our Gertrude Jekyll rose is still producing plush pink blooms – she’s been going since May, no wonder she has such a great reputation!

3. Calendula

It’s in the name of my blog and here is one little calendula flower still nestling in amongst the old courgette foliage. Time to pull it all up soon but I’m going to leave it just a little bit longer.

4. Geraniums

I have had quite a lazy gardening year possibly because there has been so much else going on in the world. These geraniums were left over from the previous year, nearly died in the dry patch and now are rather merry thanks to recent rains and mild weather.

5. Lady Emma Hamilton

I featured this rose last time but I am so pleased that after a couple of years of doing nothing she has chosen November to do her thing.

6. Cosmos

I thought we were going to lose the cosmos after frosts a week or two back but then the weather turned milder and it’s still going strong.

1. Paddy Tobin says:

So sorry to hear Coronavirus has hit your household; a worrying time. I hope all goes well with you.

Nice colour from our plants.

1. Thanks Paddy I don’t think any of us have it – if one child tests positive at school they send home the entire bubble!

1. Paddy Tobin says:

Two of our sons are schoolteachers and, to be honest, we have been nervous for them. They say they have become used to the new routine now but that it is still a very uncomfortable atmosphere without the normal interaction with students etc.

2. Good old Gertie. She has a wonderful fragrance too. Stay safe.

Here also my eldest son had been affected by the COVID in September and two weeks ago it was my wife… but I’m still free as well , as my youngest son. We must obviously continue to take the usual precautions.
    Nice photo of the Gertrude rose, and the calendula are also in bloom here. Maybe I’ll add them to my Six next Saturday

4. I hope you are still keeping well yourself. 4 of our grandchildren who are at university have either had, or are living in the same house as someone who has had, coronavirus. Your post must get this week’s award for the most colourful…….it could be midsummer.

5. Noelle M says:

Hope all you poor things escape the virus, even though you may be all together. You have good vibrant colours given the time of the year, enough to cheer us all along.

6. Katharine says:

So funny about those geraniums – neglect is often a good approach with gardening it seems.

1. It’s definitely my default setting!

7. Lisa says:

What a nice group of such colorful things you still have! My calendulas are still around, but looking soggy from so much rain. No mildew this year.

8. March Picker says:

The amount of blooms and color you still have is amazing! A rainbow, indeed. Your GJ and LEH roses make me miss mine, whose buds have succumbed to the drippy weather and are rotting.

There are still gorgeous colours in your garden despite the looming presence of winter. Someone was mentioning the tenacity of Calendulas this week which made me think of your blog…I think a plant that can spread itself around is an asset in the garden. Good for filling small spaces. The colour of your cyclamens is very rich.

10. Cathy says:

Isn’t it lovely to see colour so late in the year? 😃 I pulled my last Calendula 2 days ago and we have had two severe frosts since, so it is great to see your plants still looking fresh.

Calendula and nasturtiums are still flowering here, but I really should be tidying up those beds. It’s far too wet though to spend any time outdoors.

12. Sally Wicks says:

I really enjoy your six on a Saturday, and it’s time , I headed into my garden this Saturday, and started joining in . I think, I can just about find the required number !