Six on Saturday: First flowers

This has been a week of homeschooling and walks, not much gardening has been done, but it’s lovely to see the first flowers of the year appearing.

Each week The Propagator generously hosts Six on Saturday where gardeners from all over the world blog about what’s going on in their patch. For me and many others it is a great way to document the year in our gardens.

1. Galanthus ‘Junie’

Last year I bought six special snowdrops from the snowdrop day at Marchants Hardy plants. At £12 this was one of my more expensive purchases. Nice to see it come up again.

2. Primrose

I do have some of the more colourful primroses but my favourites are the plain pale yellow Primula vulgaris. I have planted several alongside hellebores and this is the first to come out.

3. Hellebore

I have three or four hellebores together (one was new last year so not sure if it will come back). This pink one is always the most vigorous and the first to come up.

4. Bergenia

I can never make up my mind about whether I like ‘Elephant Ears’ – the foliage is always so messy, but then the stems of jolly pink flowers make up for it.

5. Bulb lasagne

Won’t be long now until these dwarf irises come up, followed by tulips. I have forgotten what varieties I planted so will be a nice surprise.

6. Robin

Not strictly in our garden but we met this little fella when we were out on our walk yesterday. Someone has hung a swing in the woods and when we stopped there he hopped around us for ages – I think he has got used to people stopping there and he scoffs the crumbs from their snacks. Well, I say he but I’m no expert on robin genders… Bizarrely there was also a bagpiper playing somewhere nearby. Apparently they are a regular feature sometimes as early as 6.30am but this is the first time we’ve heard them.

Pretty robin picture ! I love it…
    This week you showed pretty much the same things that are in bloom in my garden. Except the hellebores which seem a little ahead of mine.. Nice pics.

2. Lots of spring colours, you are way ahead of me. My robin hasn’t appeared this week but then I have hardly been out. Yours definitely looks a bit cold.

1. He was lovely and fat – I suppose those are his winter feathers?

I love the robins, we have several visiting at the moment and sometimes they sing to me when I am outside checking for any weather damage. I wonder if yours might be wondering what kind of bird the bagpiper is. I am sure I would not like him practising at 6:30 am if I was a neighbour!

1. We actually passed his neighbours on our walk – they didn’t look too pleased!

4. I loved hearing the bagpipe music, that is quite a fun way to start the day! Cute little robin too, so fluffed up. I know what you mean re Bergenia, the flowers on yours are pretty (and early?). I have a dwarf Bergenia that has less impact but is less messy too!

5. carolee says:

Are those baby primula plants I see in the primula photo? If so, how lucky you are! I keep waiting for mine to self-seed, but so far after three years, nothing yet.

1. I’m not sure will go out and check – I hadn’t thought of that

6. Very nice, the flowers are pretty

7. Katharine says:

I share your love of the basic yellow primula. I planted a load on a bank in my woodland garden, transplanted from elsewhere in the garden. Some turned out to be pink – I must move them! Your bulb lasagnas are going to be great. Can’t wait to see them bloom.

8. joy says:

Your winter/spring flowers are such a joy to see and remind us that warmer weather is coming. I have read about bulb lasagnes and every year think that I must try it. I look forward to the pictures of them when they are up.

Elephant ears? That sounds almost as silly as pigsqueak. It looks like Bergenia crassifolia, but I really do not know. I am told that mine are Bergenia cordifolia, even though the leaves are rounded like yours are. I think of ‘cordifolia’ as having heart shaped leaves.

10. Pádraig says:

One of my wish-list plants for next year is snowdrop. I’ll do a bit of homework and get a selection of five or six.
    Bergenia in flower? That’s super! Finally, I’d have no issue with having a local bagpiper, but 6.30 would be out of the question.

11. Paddy Tobin says:

We missed out on a visit to Marchants a few years ago and were very disappointed as friends had recommended it very highly. Another time!