Six on Saturday: A puppy in the garden

Our new puppy Baxter arrived a week ago – hence the lack of post last week – and as promised he is a little ball of cuteness and trouble.

He loves the garden, particularly digging at speed in the flowerbeds like a cartoon dog, eating cat poo and chewing on the crocuses.

The spade makes him howl, he would like to eat my trowel and he rather enjoys rolling in the hardy geraniums.

On the plus side I am out in the garden much more than usual for this time of year as I am taking him out every hour to do his business which gives me plenty of opportunity to observe and plan.

As ever I am joining in with The Propagator who invites us to feature six things from our gardens every Saturday.

1. Crocuses enjoying the sunshine

We have lots of these delicate little crocuses which opened up their saffron tongues to welcome the sunshine yesterday.

2. Baxter in the ferns

Baxter likes ferns – they are fun to play with and even better to flatten!

3. Galanthus elwesii ‘Herbert Ransome’

I bought this snowdrop from the Marchants Hardy Plants snowdrop sale last year and it is rather wonderful when it opens out.

4. Annual haircut

The tree surgeons have been and done their usual marvellous job. Here’s the before and after.

5. Alfie in the fig tree

At this time of year my six-year-old loves to climb the bare branches of our gnarled old fig tree.

6. Paper white narcissi

I am actually growing these in the house but they had to come out for the tree surgeons as they were in our lean to and could have got knocked over by machinery. They have that strange musky smell that some people hate but I don’t mind too much.

Sorry I couldn’t resist ending with a Baxter montage. I will stop boring you with puppy pics after this (although I can’t promise never to feature Baxter again).

1. Paddy Tobin says:

A very nice dog though I might not be as patient with his activities in the garden. It is some years since we had a dog and I recall that, without any great effort on my part, he generally avoided the flowerbeds.

Oh, what a cutie! I am a little afraid for those plants though! I have never grown paperwhites. Maybe I’ll get some for next year. Grow them in the conservatory.

1. I have really enjoyed my Paperwhites too, nice to have them on the windowsill in Feb, and they smell nice to me (though quite powerful I admit).

3. Cathy says:

Lovely to see Baxter – don’t apologise for featuring him, although, like Paddy, wouldn’t be too happy with his fern addiction!. A nice interesting six – that fig tree’s trunk is superb!

Seeing your son’s teeth, I guessed he was 6… 😂 ( and that fig tree is stunning !)
    Dexter looks like a cute little dog, I hope he will be a good boy in your garden.

5. Baxter is a real cutie, mind your plants though! I love the trunk of your fig tree, and very good for climbing it seems. I’ve got the Paperwhites too this week, the scent has actually grown on me and I like it now, having been exposed to it for a week or so. They are so pretty too.

6. Keep showing us Baxter…….after all, the instructions are “Six things in the garden” and he’s definitely in the garden. 🤭 Very neat and tidy shed area. I do like, your other garden 🌟 up the tree. Lovely Six-on-Saturday.

7. Cuteness overload! Not only Baxter, but your son looks a little darling. Sorry I didn’t pay much mind to anything else ….. 😀

1. I put in the photo of my son as he needs reassuring that he is still my number one boy! I keep on calling the puppy by his name which doesn’t help.

Well, now you’ve gone and done it. Now that you posted pictures of Baxter, more pictures will be expected every Saturday.

9. Roguegarden says:

Baxter appears to be a joyful addition to your home and garden. I appreciate how you have photographed the crocus emerging amidst the stems of other plants. For me, this contributes immeasurably to the charm of the delicate blossom. The gnarled trunk of your fig tree is a thing of beauty. It has the look of an ancient elder overseeing the play of your 6 year old with patience that only trees can muster.

10. Not sure who is cuter Baxter or Alfie…Alfie! The Fig is cool!

11. Eliza Waters says:

Baxter is adorable – and I’m sure a handful, chewing everything in sight! 😉 Don’t scrimp on the future cute puppy photos!

12. Pádraig says:

Gorgeous dog, although you’ll likely need to keep him away from the snowsrops!
    I’m so glad that our two miniature Yorkies are trained gardeners.